UPDATED : Wednesday, 16 August 2017 11:43 AM
What is CAT Entrance Exam for MBA?
Common Admission Test (CAT) is a competitive management entrance exam conducted at the national level.
CAT is conducted for admissions in Postgraduate Business Administration Programme and other programs in various IIMs and other B-Schools accepting CAT.
Since 2009 CAT is conducted as a Computer Based Test.
CAT Results are declared in Percentile and after Results, the B-Schools shortlist candidates on the basis of their CAT Percentile scored.
This year CAT 2017 will be convened by IIM Lucknow. CAT 2016 was convened by IIM Bangalore.
CAT 2017 Exam Important Dates
CAT 2017 Registration / Application Form
The CAT registration window for 2017 will start from August,9 2017. At the time of registration, the candidates have to select any four Test Cities as per their preference from the drop down menu while filling cat online form.
Candidates will be allotted one among the 4 preferred Cities in any 1 of the 2 sessions after the last date of registration.
CAT 2017 Exam Format
Quantitative Ability (QA) section of CAT 2017 Exam gives the impression to be the favorite of the exam setters. There will be 34 Questions in QA Section.
It seems that a lot of effort is devoted in setting this section.
DILR Section comprises of the calculation intensive portion including Graphs, charts , tables etc.You should never assume or use any information that the question fails to give you.
This section will have total of 32 Questions.
VRC section of CAT Exam includes RCs, Para Jumbled questions, grammar etc.It happens when you have read the full RC passage and managed to answer 3 or 4 questions out of the total 5 very quickly; Do not get into ego hassles over questions, you should leave them and move on.
This section will have total of 34 Questions.
There will be 3 Sections in CAT 2017
- Duration of the examination will be 180 minutes.
- Some questions in each section (Quantitative Ability, Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning and Verbal and Reading Comprehension) may not be of multiple choice type. Instead, direct answers are to be typed on the screen. Also, use of a basic on-screen calculator will be allowed for computation.
- Candidates will be allotted exactly 60 minutes for answering questions in each section and they cannot switch from one section to another while answering questions in a section.
- The on-screen timer will mark remaining minutes for the test.
- Three (3) points will be awarded for each correct answer; one (1) point will be deducted for each wrong answer.
- There is no penalty for questions that are left unanswered.
CAT 2017 Exam Syllabus
To let you know, CAT does not have any predefined syllabus. However, questions are expected from below topics.
MBA Rendezvous has initiated the special series of CAT 2017 preparation.
You will be provided with a complete set of information related to Exam Pattern & Syllabus of CAT 2017, including a detailed module for each section separately:-
- Quantitative Ability (QA) : -CAT 2017 the forthcoming exam will have Quantitative Ability (QA) as one of its main sections which give the impression to be the favourite of the exam setters. It seems as if over 50% of paper setting efforts is devoted to Quant sections.
- Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DILR) : -To prepare for this section, here are some general test-taking tips that should help you with the Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning.
- Verbal and Reading Comprehension (VARC) : -Try and solve what sort of questions you can expect in Verbal Ability section, and then analyse how preparation can be taken up for the next few months.
Eligibility for CAT Exam 2017
For cat exam eligibility, You must hold a Graduation degree, having 50 % marks or equivalent CGPA.
(45% in case of the candidates belonging to Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST) and Persons with Disability (PWD)/Differently Able (DA) category) awarded by any of the Universities incorporated by an act of the central or state legislature in India or other educational institutions established by an act of Parliament or declared to be deemed as a University under Section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956,
Or possess an equivalent qualification recognized by the Ministry of HRD, Government of India.
The percentage of marks obtained by the candidate would be calculated based on the practice as followed by the respective University/Institution.
In case of grades / CGPA, the conversion to the percentage of marks would be based on the procedure as certified by the respective University/ institution.
If any University/institution confirms that there is no scheme for converting CGPA into equivalent marks, the equivalence would be established by dividing the candidate's CGPA by the maximum possible CGPA and multiplying the result with 100.
Candidates appearing for the final year of graduation degree/equivalent qualification examination and those who have completed degree requirements and are awaiting results can also apply.
If selected, such candidates will be allowed to join the programme provisionally, only if she/he submits a certificate from the Principal/Registrar of her/his College/Institute.
List of Equivalent Qualifications for Eligibility for CAT exam 2017 are given below:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering/Technology (4 years after 10+2/Post B.Sc./Post Diploma ) or B.E/B.Tech equivalent examinations, of Professional Societies, recognized by MHRD/UPSC/AICTE (e.g. AMIE by Institution of Engineers -India, AMICE by the Institute of Civil Engineers-India).
- Any Qualification recognized by Association of Indian Universities New Delhi, which is equivalent to a Bachelor's Degree awarded by UGC recognized University/Institutions.
- Cases not covered above equivalency certificate to be produced by Association of Indian Universities New Delhi.
Reservations of Seats
As per the Government of India:
- 15% - Seats are reserved for Scheduled Caste (SC)
- 7.5% - Scheduled Tribe (ST) candidates
- 27% - Seats are reserved for Other Backward Classes candidates belonging to the non - creamy layer (NC - OBC)
- 3% - Seats are reserved for Differently Abled (DA) candidates
How to Apply for CAT Exam Online
Steps for CAT Registration
- Create a Profile
- Log in with system generated User ID and Password
- Submit Application after entering details and making online payment Post successful registration, you will use the system generated User ID and Password to log into the website. Upon logging in, you will first see the Registration Summary page and then click on Go to Application Form - Candidate Login. This will direct you to the application form/ Exam form page.
CAT Admit Card 2017
Admit card for Candidates can download their Admit Cards for CAT 2017 from 25th October 2017 to 26th November 2017, 1:00 PM onwards.
You will have to log onto the CAT website with the registered User ID.
You will be eligible for an Admit Card only upon submission of online application form. You will receive an automated email confirmation upon successful submission.
The admit card will be only available on the CAT Website when you log on using your CAT 2017 User ID. Admit Card is a mandatory document required to take the exam.
You must carry a print out of your Admit Card to the exam centre.
The CAT Hall Ticket will contain the following details:
- Name of the candidate
- Test date
- Test City & Centre address
- User ID / Registration Number
- PWD/DA status
If you are unable to view your Admit Card post login, refer to the help desk details below.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
CAT Exam 2017 Test Centres
There are 140 test cities. The details about the test sites spread across 140 test cities are available on www.iimcat.ac.in and the name of the Test Site will be indicated in the Admit Card.
IIMs reserve the right to change or cancel any test venue /centre and/or change the test time and date at their own discretion.
CAT 2017 SCORECARD
A candidate's CAT 2017 score card with percentile and candidate's sectional cut off will be made available at the www.iimcat.ac.in and individual information will not be sent. The CAT results will be declared by 2nd week of January 2018. CAT 2017 score is valid till December 31, 2018.
The candidate's scores will be made available till December 31, 2018. Subsequent to that date no queries related to the issuance of CAT 2017 score cards will be entertained.
Admission panel Discussion
Hear it directly from B School Professors!
Professors from T. A. Pai Management Institute-Manipal, GITAM School of International Business-Visakhapatnam, Institute of Management Technology-Ghaziabad, International Management Institute-New Delhi, SDM Institute for Management Development-Mysore, G.L. Bajaj Institute of Management and Research-Greater Noida discussing, on what parameters they evaluate Students during the Admission process.
How to Calculate CAT Score?
Set your Targets Now!
Just like any percentile score is calculated. A percentile represents the rank of a candidate in an examination, relative to the rest of the candidates who appeared for the same examination in the same time-frame.
Letï¿½s say there were 10 students who gave an exam, including you.
If you ranked 1st, then there are 9 students behind you, or 90% of the test-takers are ranked after you.
Which means that you have a 90%tile score. If you stood 3rd, then there are 7 test-takers ranked after you. You will have a 70%tile score in this case.
If there is an exam where 1000 people appeared, including yourself, and you ranked 75th, then there were effectively 925 test-takers who were ranked below you (because they scored lesser marks than you did).
In this case, your percentile score will be (925/1000)x100 = 92.5 %tile
Letï¿½s say 2,00,000 people appeared for CAT in a certain year. Everyoneï¿½s net score was calculated, and all test-takers were sorted in descending order of their marks in CAT. Your rank was 1,500.
In this case, your percentile score will be :
(198500/200000)x100 = 99.25 %tile.
List of Courses Offered under CAT
PGPEM | PGP | PGP-ABM | PGPBM | PGP-UAE | PGPWE | PGPPM | EPGPM | PGP-Mumbai | PGPSM | PGDHRM | PGDM | PGPEX
CAT 2017 Preparation
You know it jolly well that without scoring top percentile, it is almost certain to be out of option from IIMs and top institutes.
Best bet is to ensure on the preparation of CAT and time is opportune to hang on this cent percent.
Preparing for CAT 2017 is not that tricky as it sounds. You should know How often, when and why to take Mock Tests?
CAT will remain the most premium exam for getting admission to premium Institutes; not only to IIMs but in top 100 management institutions.
Although CAT scores are acceptable to all 4000 plus MBA institutes in India in case not able to get admission top quality students with moderate top or reasonable percentile opt out and take efforts to retry CAT next year.
This indicates the importance of CAT. With serious efforts, if CAT is attempted then exam can be cracked.
CAT Exam Day
CAT 2017 will test your analytical skills and in absence of any prescribed syllabus, you may not be aware of what is the surprise in store but since you have already prepared hence, it would be better to continue with your mocks and in this regard your portal MBA Rendezvous has provided updates Mocks so that you continue to gain confidence.
It is essential for any student aspiring to get admission to CAT Institutes to practice a lot and finish all questions in 180 minutes.
CAT exam is not tough but the hype created during exam time needs to be negotiated while taking lot of Mock tests right from April 2017 onward.
CAT 2017 Exam Fees
The fee is Rs.1800 for General and NC-OBC Candidates. However, if you belong to the SC/ST/PWD (DA) category the applicable fee is Rs.900.
The CAT exam fee is payable at the time of online registration via a valid credit, debit card or online net banking facility.
CAT Previous Year (2016) Exam Analysis
Approx. 2.32 Lakh aspirants gave CAT 2016 exam on 4th December which took place in 2 slots on one day; the morning session, from 9 AM to 12 Noon, and the afternoon session, from 2 PM to 5 PM. The difficulty level of both the papers was identical.
There were 3 sections in the exam, Quantitative Aptitude (QA), Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DILR) and Verbal and Reading Comprehension (VRC) unlike previous years. The exam duration was 180 minutes.
Of course all of you had a tough time on CAT and QA section was supposedly tougher this year and verbal ability section was similar(easy) to last year, but definitely, by now you must have got your name in cut-off lists with IIMs and other top B Schools.
CAT 2017 RESULTS AND SHORT-LISTING
Information related to CAT 2017 results will be available starting 2nd week of January 2018 on the CAT website - https://iimcat.ac.in/
List of shortlisted candidates for the next level of selection will be made available on the individual IIM websites.
Each IIM will send interview letters to the short listed candidates directly.
The criteria for short-listing vary from IIM to IIM. Please visit the admission hotlinks of the respective websites of IIMs for further information.
Each IIM shortlists candidates for the second stage of selection which may be independent of each other.
Performance in CAT 2016 examination in terms of personal score in CAT is an important component in the admission process.
IIMs are autonomous institutes of management education and they may use previous academic performance of the candidates, relevant work experience, and other similar inputs in short listing and ranking of candidates at various stages of the admission process.
The processes, academic cut-offs and the weights allocated to the evaluation parameters may vary across IIMs.
Trend of MCQ & Non-MCQ Questions
Selection Process of IIMs
Life at IIM
It is said that life is one and it changes dimensions as per the surroundings and circumstances. It is you who needs to adapt and change your life as you wish so.
Life at IIM is no different from all so-called nuisances of life but positively the moment you realise that you are at Gurukul of management teachings, you go ahead with day dreaming and that really puts you on cloud 9.
Invariably you attend classes in embedded format of learning 24x7 x 18 months. You dream day and night on learning.
Right in the morning after having quick breakfast at the mess, you are in the class room by 8.30 am to deliberate on issues on a case study which would have been given by professor last night at 11 pm.
Process of deliberations on pros and cons continue till mid night and you positively get time to place yourself in learning resource of IIM wherein you watch inspiring / motivational videos.
At all IIMs Libraries have been aptly named as learning resource centres and are equipped with latest books, journals, latest happenings at corporates , movements of top honchos, Brands etc.
You get time to share your concerns with your companions of growth at the campus and you too recreate yourself with sports amenities available in the campus.
Best part of the life at IIM is that you are able to listen live top Honchos, practically who is who of the various industries and indeed that is the one of the exceptional part of learning which sparks you to go ahead and nourish your dreams of becoming one day like them.
General Info on CAT Exam
The test will be conducted in 2 sessions. It will be conducted in 650 test centres in 140 cities. The test cities are available at www.iimcat.ac.in.
Candidates who will appear in CAT 2017 will get an option to select four test cities in the order of preference.
A candidate will be allotted a test site in one among the four preferred test cities in any one of the sessions after the last date of registration.
You may note that CAT will be applicable to top 100 plus MBA institutes besides 19 IIMs.
Please note that the difference between the paper and pencil test and the online test is that now the tests are conducted online otherwise, almost everything remains the same.
Candidates are provided with sheets for rough calculations. The right answer is clicked using the mouse.
Candidates can also scroll the entire paper and start from wherever they want. Likewise they can also change their answers.
Plan your answering strategy
These are few points you must plan out before taking the CAT ï¿½
By and large, MBA Rendezvous will provide to the aspirants a complete information on CAT 2017.
For latest updates on CAT 2017, Stay informed, Stay ahead and Stay inspired with MBA Rendezvous
However, for any query on CAT Exam, you may also email us at email@example.com
- Which section, whether it is English, Quantitative Ability or Data Interpretation, you are going to attempt in the beginning, followed by which section and which in the end. Within these sections, what will be your order of attempting the various types of questions? For example, within the English section, will you do Reading Comprehension first or begin with the Verbal Ability part?
- What is your time allocation strategy? How much time do you plan to spend on each of the sections? In particular, do you plan to devote equal time to each section or slightly more time to the section that you are the strongest at?
- How will you respond to a differential marking scheme if that is specified? For example, if there are 2 marks and 1 mark questions, do you plan to attempt the 2 mark questions first? (You never know, when the CAT pattern is changed without any notification!)
- Do you plan to spend some time at the completion of the exam, cross-checking or verifying some of the answers, especially of those questions that you are not really sure of and have just estimated or guessed the answer?
Read Next : CAT and CAT is the only dream of mine