Published : Tuesday, 07 October, 2014 02:55 PM
Date: Friday, 14 November 2014.
Time: 9.00 am to 5.30 pm
Venue: IFIM Business School, (Opp. Infosys Gate No. 4),
Electronics City Phase-1, Bangalore-560100
“An excellent program – I learnt a lot! It expanded my understanding of
Shopper Marketing and inspired me to apply the learning in some of the
work I am doing for my company.”
Nitin Raj, Manager (Global Retail Analytics Division), Hewlett Packard.
Alumni of the Indian School of Business (ISB), Hyderabad.
Participated in the previous batch of the program.
Shopper Marketing Building Brands in the Retail World
People are increasingly making their purchase decisions at the store. Worldwide studies by
leading FMCG companies put this figure as high as 70%. In addition, the store is the second
largest source of awareness, after Television, for information on brands and products.
Not surprising then, that the store is the new ‘moment of truth’ for brand marketers seeking
to go beyond share-of-mind, to capture share-of-wallet.
Shoppers behave differently from consumers. With consumers the focus of the brand is on
consumption and entering their minds. With shoppers, the focus is on purchase and entering
Brands will now dare to ignore the store and the shopper at their own peril.
Shopper Marketing: Converting Shoppers into Buyers
Shopper Marketing is the recent marketing discipline that aims at converting shoppers into
buyers, through in-store brand solutions, for the benefit of both brand marketer and retailer.
It leverages the store as a marketing medium for the brand and creates joint marketing
platforms and programs with key retailers.
Shopper Marketing, simply put, is about understanding and influencing shoppers to turn them
Like most marketing concepts, Shopper Marketing has its origins in the western world, driven
by the likes of P&G, Unilever and Coca Cola and emerging out of a need to influence shoppers in some of their largest ‘markets’- Walmart, Carrefour, Tesco, etc.
With the growing impact of Modern Retail/Trade, Shopper Marketing is assuming increasing
importance in the Indian marketing landscape, with companies now focusing on integrating
Shopper Marketing into their plans and allocating significant resources to it.
Acquiring the required knowledge & skills in Shopper Marketing is a must-do for every
new-age marketing and retailing professional.
Full-day Program on 14th November, 2014 (Friday),
9.00 am to 5.30 pm.
PROGRAM MEANT FOR
Junior to middle level executives from Retailing, Modern Trade, Channel Sales, Marketing,
Brand Management, Advertising and Retail/In-store Marketing Agencies.
Prof. Anand Narasimha, Professor-Marketing & Strategy at IFIM Business School
- 25+ years industry experience in Brand Management and Marketing Communications in leadership positions in MNC’s, Indian Companies and Advertising Agencies
- 05 + years’ experience in teaching, consulting & corporate training
- Worked on a variety of Global and Indian brands/projects, with game-changing work for corporations like, Nestle, P&G, Dabur, Tata Tea, ITC, Britannia, Cavinkare, Mother Dairy, BPL, Sony, Samsung, Hyundai, TVS Motors, Hero Motors, Epson, Benetton, Tata AIG, HSBC
- Alumnus of BITS-Pilani and IIM-Calcutta
- Focus Areas: Brand Strategy, Global Branding, Marcom, Consumer Trends and Shopper Marketing
- Worked as ‘Shopper Marketing Coordinator’ for key Saatchi & Saatchi clients for APAC region
- Trained internationally with Saatchi X (a specialist Shopper Marketing company of Saatchi & Saatchi) with clients like P&G and WALMART
- Founder & CEO of India’s first Shopper Marketing Consultancy-Madison Shopper Marketing (MASH) set up with the Madison Media Group
- Conducted Shopper Marketing training programs with Sales & Marketing teams for CAVINKARE (personal care products) and ENCOMPASS (an Experiential Marketing Agency of WPP)
- Worked on projects involving shopper insights and platforms/programs for BRITANNIA (biscuits for Modern Trade), COKE (for conventional retail formats), SPINZ DEOS (for Modern Trade) and TATA AIG (retailing Insurance products through Modern Trade)
- Regularly writes about and speaks on Shopper Marketing in various forums
Provide an understanding of the fundamentals of Shopper Marketing with real world examples and cases from International and Indian markets. Familiarize participants with basic frameworks and tools to help them apply the learning to their brands and companies.
Understanding Shoppers: Learning How Shoppers Shop
Fundamental to Shopper Marketing is the understanding of shopper behavior and insights.
Unlocking shopper insights requires new techniques, as against conventional market research. Shopping is a social human activity and studying shoppers is based on the principles of Anthropology.
If consumers are profiled on demographics, psychographics, attitudes and lifestyles, shoppers are profiled based on ‘Need-States’. Need-States begin with the raison-de-etre or mission for the particular shopping trip. One takes into account the shopper’s motivations and drivers-what shopping means to her. Also in the cauldron are aspects such as, the length of the shopping trip, how the shopper navigates through the store, who she shops with, what is the size of her shopping basket, and so on.
Influencing Shoppers: Seeing the Store through the Eyes of the Shopper
Having understood your shopper, you now need to apply the learning to present your
brand/category in the most inspiring and compelling manner to influence her to buy.
Your brand in-store, must have a powerful idea and story to ‘make her an offer she
The brand must be imaginative enough to see the store through the eyes of the shopper
and not just as a piece of real estate with shelves and aisles. The trick is to unsuspectingly lead the shopper to the real target- your brand. How are you going to ‘Attract-Arrest-Acquire’
her from the point she enters the store, to when she is moving around and checking stuff out,
till she actually picks up and puts the product in her basket. What are all the ‘Connection
opportunities and shopper zones’ in and around the store that you can innovatively use to
engage your shoppers.
9.00-9.30 am: Registration & Introduction
9.30 am-1.00 pm: Shopper Marketing Concepts, Frameworks & Tools
- What is Shopper Marketing? It’s role and significance in building brands in the retail world and converting shoppers into buyers.
- Understanding shoppers: how they are different from consumers; unlocking need sates; learnings on ‘how shoppers shop’
- Influencing shoppers: shopper marketing tools and techniques; ‘seeing the store thru’ the eyes of the shopper’
- The Shopping Cycle: a tool for breakthrough shopper engagement by unlocking insights and leveraging paths to purchase
- Emotional Drivers of Shopping: a framework for infusing powerful emotional connect with shoppers to influence purchase behavior
1.00-2.00 pm – Lunch Break
2.00-5.30 pm: Detailed Cases Studies of Shopper Marketing Projects
- Developing a joint program with a big box retailer.
- Developing a model for large format modern trade.
- Developing a model for Category-A / Kirana Stores.
The program fee is INR 8,000 per participant (inclusive of certificate, study material, tea/coffee, and lunch). Service Tax @ 12.36% is extra.
‘Corporate Package’ for companies sponsoring 3 or more candidates- 20% fee waiver.
‘Early Bird Offer’ for individuals registering and paying on or before 31 October 2014-
20% fee waiver
Maximum number of participants limited to 30. The program will be conducted only if there are a minimum number of 10 participants.
For registration/more information please contact:
Prof. Anand Narasimha
E-mail: [email protected]
IFIM Business School, Bangalore, was established in 1995 and currently it’s one of the fastest growing B- schools in the country. Promoted by the Centre for Developmental Education (CDE), IFIM offers a range of full-time, distance learning, executive and doctoral programs in Management. IFIM is approved by AICTE and also has ISO 9001 certification. It has applied for prestigious international accreditations like AACSB and SAQS. The campus is strategically located in the heart of Electronics City and it has well planned infrastructure & resources. IFIM also offers a variety of degree, certificate and management development programs for working executives. With its innovative & holistic curriculum, high caliber faculty and strong partnerships with foreign universities, IFIM is a sought after destination for students and recruiters.
Stay informed, Stay ahead and stay inspired with MBA Rendezvous