Updated: Thursday, 9 March, 2017 02:30 PM
XAT 2018: National level MBA exam| Latest information
||10:00 AM to 01:30 PM
|Date of Commencement of Application
|Last Date for Applying (Without Late Fee)
|Last Date for Applying (With Late Fee)
|Admit Card Download Date
|Mode of Examination
||Paper & Pen based
|XAT 2017 Cities
||Cities within India : 47
|Cities outside India : 2
XAT Exam Alerts
Register below to get XAT 2018 Alerts on &
XAT Exam Pattern/Structure :
The test would be split into two:
- Aptitude Test
- Essay and GK.
The Aptitude section would consist of :
- Verbal and Logical Ability
- Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation
- Decision Making.
||No. Of Questions
||Verbal and Logical Ability
||0.25 for any wrong answer, 0.05 for more than 13 unattempted questions
|Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation
||No Negative Marking
In XAT-2018 students have a choice of not attempting 13 questions. Beyond this, any unattempted question will carry the negative mark of 0.05. There would also be negative marking of 0.25 marks for any wrong answer. There will be no Negative Marking in Part B i.e GK and Essay.
Instructions for XAT Exam
Name ________________ Test Booklet No.
XAT ID_______________ Booklet Series: A/B/C/D
- DO NOT OPEN THIS TEST BOOKLET UNTIL YOU ARE ASKED TO DO SO.
- Fill in the information required on the answer sheet. Your test may not be evaluated if the required details are not entered on the answer sheet (OMR).
- This examination consists of two parts: Part I and Part II. Part I has three sections A, B and C with 26, 23 and 29 questions respectively, i.e. a total of 78 questions. The three sections of Part I are followed by Part II that has 25 questions on General Knowledge followed by an essay. If there is a problem with your test booklet, inform the invigilator/supervisor immediately. You will be provided with a replacement.
- Do not seek clarification on any item in the test booklet from the test invigilator or the centre supervisor. Use your best judgment.
- The time for completing the three sections and general knowledge is 210 minutes. You are expected to answer THE first three sections in 170 minutes and General Knowledge along with QUESTIONS in 35 minutes. You are expected to maximize scores in each section. General Knowledge marks would only be used at the time of final selection and not for shortlisting candidates for interview/GD.
- All questions carry EQUAL marks. ONE FOURTH OF A MARK may be deducted for each incorrect answer.
- Leaving a question UNATTEMPTED may result in a DEDUCTION OF 0.05 MARK. However, this deduction will not be applicable for a MAXIMUM OF 13 UNATTEMPTED QUESTIONS.
- Each question has five alternatives. Answer each question by darkening the appropriate bubble against the question number on the answer sheet. For example, if your answer to question number 1 is ‘B’, fully darken the bubble ‘B’ against the question.
- All answers are to be marked only on the (OMR) answer sheet. Use the margin in the test booklet for rough work. No other piece of paper is permitted for rough work.
- Use only BLUE OR BLACK BALL-POINT PEN for marking answers on the OMR answer sheet. Please do not use gel pens or ink pens.
- Failure to follow instructions and examination norms will lead to disqualification.
To open the test booklet, insert a pen beneath this page and tear open along the right side of the test booklet as indicated by the arrow at the bottom of the page.
PLEASE WAIT FOR THE SIGNAL TO OPEN THE TEST BOOKLET.
BEST OF LUCK!
You need to maneuver your XAT preparation with immediate effect and note that since pattern of questions have changed so you must make it point not to leave un-attempted questions more than 13 or in other words you have to attempt 65 questions positively in part 1 of exam.
You also need to ensure that you are not doing any guess work as for every wrong answer ¼ of the mark will be deducted. Part 2 of the exam i.e. General Knowledge and Essay will highly crucial and can prove to be differentiator.
We have provided enough study material for Part 1 & Part 2 of XAT 2018. Click the following and maneuver your preparation with change pattern of XAT 2018.
Information On XAT 2018
XAT or Xavier Aptitude Test is the entrance exam organized by Xavier Labour Relation Institute (XLRI), Jamshedpur. However, it is conducted by the Xavier Association of Management Institutes (XAMI) for admission in XLRI and many other top tier management institutes of India. XLRI application has been embedded with XAT application. Candidates applying to XLRI do not have to fill up two separate forms. It is considered to be one of the toughest MBA entrance exams in India that calls for complete dedication and awareness. XAT 2017 will be conducted in January 2017.
Important Information on XAT 2018 Admit Card
MBA Aspirants can download their admit card from XAT Official website www.xatonline.net.in in December 2017. XAT office will not be sending admit cards to the candidates.
XAT 2015 Exam Analysis
XAT 2015 had 84 Questions in total, divided in 2 Parts.
Part 1 – Verbal Ability, Decision Making and Analytical Reasoning, Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation
Part 2 – GK and Essay
All questions carried equal marks. There were 5 choices for each question. One fourth mark deducted for every incorrect attempt.
||No. Of Questions
||Verbal and Logical Ability
|Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation
Break up of sections as below:
||No. of Questions
|Verbal and Logical Ability
|Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation
||Algebra and Functions
|Profit and Loss
Students might perceive with the concept of XAT being the toughest to crack but, experts who have been analyzing this examination for a long time now, claims that you do not need to be a mathematical genius or a literature pundit to crack this test. Rather, the real objective of the examiner's is to check the presence of mind, common sense and logical ability of the aspiring candidates and to cherry pick those who are promising enough and show tremendous potential.
XAT scores are accepted by several prestigious MBA institutes like Xavier Institute of Management and Entrepreneurship - Bangalore, Xavier Institute of Management Bhubaneswar – Bhubaneswar, Xavier Institute of Social Service – Ranchi, XLRI Jamshedpur School of Management – Jamshedpur, Xavier Institute of Development Action and Studies – Jabalpur, Xavier Institute of Management & Research – Mumbai, S P Jain Institute of Management Research (SPJIMR) Mumbai, Loyola Institute of Business Administration (LIBA) Chennai, etc.
XAT 2017 will be conducted on 8th January, 2017, Sunday and the registration for the same are open. Register at www.xatonline.net.in. Detailed bulletin is available on http://www.xlri.ac.in/.
XAT 2018 Test Cities (within India)
XAT 2018 will be conducted in 47 cities across India and 2 International cities (Dubai, Kathmandu) outside India
In XAT exams, unlike other MBA entrance tests, candidates need to be more attentive in selecting which question to solve and what to drop without wasting much time. This is an important aspect of XAT examination as it throws more number of questions to be solved in less time. In such a pressure building scenario, students need not lose their nerve and solve easier looking questions before attempting tough or complicated questions. However, selection of easier questions is very difficult as they are very well inserted between the tougher questions that are speed breakers in such competitive exams. But, it is not impossible to master the skill of scrutinising questions and one could polish this skill by regress practice and disciplined preparation.
For instance, one can easily find simpler questions based upon algebra and trigonometry, between two questions which might involve application of calculus. Though the questions based upon calculus and functions are themselves on decline as observed in the past. Thus, XAT primarily tests three skills in any aspiring student:
- Decision making abilities,
- Pressure handling and meeting deadline capability
- Ability to capitalize on ones' strengths
XAT 2018 Registration Procedure
- Visit xatonline.net.in.Create a new account with your personal email id, you will receive a unique XAT ID and registration link.You need to create your XAT Password.
- Select your Citizenship (Indian/ Foreign / NRI).
- If you are interested to apply for XLRI, select the programme of your choice Business Management (BM)/Human Resource Management (HRM)/Global Business Management(GBM)/General Management Programme (GMP). Candidates not interested in any of the XLRI programmes can skip this step.
- Fill all basic required information.
- Provide your mailing address and permanent address.
- Provide your educational qualification starting from 10th onwards.
- Provide details of work experience starting from the latest job. Candidates desirous of applying to GMP must have total experience of five years till March 31, 2017.
- Choose the XAT 2016 test city.
- Please upload your scanned digital photograph and signature less than 1 MB
There are three possible modes of payment
- Online Payment Gateway
- Through VISA/Master Credit/Debit Cards
- (American Express Card is inadmissible)
- Cash Payment
- Please take a print out of the XAT Pay-In-Slip visit nearest IDBI bank and make the payment.
You need to make a DD made in favour of "XLRI Jamshedpur A/c XAT" payable at Jamshedpur.
Important: Applicant paying through Mode 2 & 3 should update the payment details in the registration page.
Candidates only interested in XAT but not in XLRI need to pay a fee of Rs. 1500/-(Rupees Fifteen Hundred only). Candidates interested in XLRI programme(s) needs to pay an additional fee of Rs.250/- each.
Confirmation page and the Demand Draft needs to be sent to :
The Chairperson Admission, XLRI, Circuit House Area (East), Jamshedpur- 831001.
The same must be sent within fifteen days from the issuance of DD.
If you have made the payment other than DD you should not send the confirmation page.
Recognized Bachelor’s degree of minimum three years duration or equivalent in any discipline. Those completing their final examination by June 10, 2018 may also apply. All Indian candidates must appear for XAT 2017. However NRI and foreign candidates may apply through GMAT score (except Dubai and Kathmandu wherein candidates have an option of appearing for XAT 2018)
XAT Member Institutes
- In case of being in the final year of graduation, what percentage should be filled in the form?
- You need to enter the aggregate percentage of marks obtained till the time of filling the form.
- How can photo and signature be checked before admit card is generated?
- On completion of registration and making the necessary payment, confirmation page can be downloaded to check your photograph and signature.
- When will XAT 2018 results be out?
- Results will be available on the website by 31st January 2018.
- In case you have registered for XAT 2018 by making an online payment through credit card. Unfortunately after the payment you are unable to view the final confirmation and the system was not able to give the reference No. & a message is displayed as "PAGE EXPIRED", although the bank has confirmed the debit.
- Candidate will receive a message for successful payment. If the message not received within 24-48 hours, please send a mail to email@example.com. Do not attempt to make a second payment immediately.
- If you have paid twice using online payment option. What should you do?
- Kindly send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your XAT ID, date of payment, card holders name and the credit/debit card details (first four & last four digits and card expiry date).
- Does internship/Articleship counted as work experience?
- These are not counted as work experience
- Does the work experience before Graduation is counted?
- No, it is not counted as work experience.
- If you have less than 50% in graduation, will you be eligible to apply for XLRI ?
- Yes, you are eligible to apply for XLRI .
- How is past academic performance considered in the selection process?
- XLRI does not have any cut off based on any of the following X, XII, graduation marks. The evaluation of candidates' academic competence will be evaluated holistically by XLRI based on candidates' performance in interview, group discussion and XAT written test.
- Is X Board or XII Board scores used in the preparation of XLRI's merit list?
- No, it is not considered.
Strategies to crack XAT
- Know your exam – Although there is no any written syllabus for competitive exams like XAT or CAT, but still, by observing the past trends, you can get a lot of idea of what sort of question is expected to appear in the question paper. The sections are usually announced in advance like verbal ability, quantitative aptitude, decision making, essay writing, general awareness, etc. So, what you really need to work upon is the basics of these subject areas, like Maths formulas for QA, English grammar for VA & essay writing and regular current news updates for general awareness. Thus, if you are aware of the essentials of the paper, you will come out with flying colours.
- Know the difference - XAT is pretty different from all the other MBA entrance exams that you plan to appear for. That doesn’t mean it is the toughest but undoubtedly the one that checks your academic skills as well as IQ and expression power. It does not require you to be the master of any one field while ignoring others; rather it looks out for a jack of all trade who could be transformed into the master of business administration/management in near future.
- Sharpen your edges – Once you are aware of the intricacies of your exam, you need to plan your preparations accordingly; after all, it is rightly said, "He who fails to plan, plans to fail". So, please don’t undermine the importance of planning and pave your way to success by cracking this exam.
- Know your strengths and Weaknesses – While you prepare for your test, you also need to understand your own strengths and weaknesses like you can be strong in Mathematics, average in DI and totally clueless in RC. This is important because for clearing XAT; you need to clear all the sections of the paper. If you will not strengthen your strong areas and hone your weak areas, you might lose your entrance ticket to some of the most reputed colleges of this country.
- Schedule you preparation – Only knowing what you need to prepare is not enough; planning how to do it the key. You not only need to read and understand things but do so in a fixed time frame. You need to make a routine and stick to it for a scheduled preparation. You need to devote some time to every section and especially to those which is out of your comfort zone and complete the groundwork in the fixed time period.
- Be ready to adapt to changed scenario – In 2013 XAT, students witnessed some changes in the exam pattern like there was a complete new section of general awareness, long hours and QA section was easier than expected. Students who were mentally prepared to tackle the change successfully made a mark and made it to the league list. So, apart from knowing the syllabus and planning your preparation, you also need to be ready to face any challenge that the question paper posses.
- Practice Hard - Don't forget that only learning chapters and making plans will not take you anywhere, it is the executions of these strategies that ultimately count. So practice, practice and practice till you are perfect at the chapter and then move ahead. Taking mock test and solving previous year's question papers are certainly beneficial.
- Reference Material - Mathematics by: R.S.Agarwal and S.L.Gulathi. Reasoning by: R.S.Agarwal [Verbal and Nonverbal] and Marksman Reasoning. English by Wren and Martin [English Grammar], Antonyms and Synonyms [Arihant Publication] and Thesaurus [Idioms and phrases]. You can also follow Norman Lewis's "word power made easy".
Any queries please write to us at email@example.com
Stay informed and stay inspired with MBA Rendezvous