CAT Eligibility Criteria 2021
Common Admission Test (CAT) is a national-level management entrance examination. CAT exam is conducted by one of the IIMs on rolling basis.
Anybody who is graduate with a minimum 50 % mark in degree level is eligible to appear in CAT. Including those who are appearing in the final year of graduation can also apply but with a rider that they have to show their final result after a certain due date. Eligibility criterion for allying in CAT is not that great. The reason being that CAT has opened a platform to compete for the best of the candidates.
CAT scores are a gateway to get admission in top 20 IIMS or 100’s of other B-schools in India.
CAT Exam will be held in 28 November 2021, registration for the same will start from 4 August 2021.
CAT Exam Pattern
CAT Exam pattern is an important aspect for the ambitious people that help them clear the exam with meticulous preparations.
It is a computer-based test and subdivided into three sections.
- CAT exam is an MCQ based online MBA exam that analyzes the aptitude of the test takers in 180 minutes.
- Along with MCQ based questions there are a few non-MCQ based questions. They do not carry any option and test takers have to type the answer with their mouse on the space provided.
- NOTE: Applicants must be wary of the negative marking that brings down the percentile in the exam.
- Always remember syllabus is the holy book that helps you to prepare well for the targeted exam and to reach your goal successfully.
- Before you start your preparations, know the distinct topics that make the CAT a tough call for the aspirants.
- Take a detailed look at the topics covered in each section and prepare your study plan which would help you cover all the important topics to score a good percentile in the exam.
CAT Eligibility Criteria 2021
- The aspirants must possess a Bachelor’s Degree with at least 50% marks or an equivalent CGPA.
- The applicants belonging to the category of Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribes (ST), and Differently Abled (DA), need only 45% marks.
- If the candidate has done his/her graduation in the old system of 2 years graduation, he/she is still allowed to appear for CAT 2021 (provided that the degree is UGC recognized).
- Final year graduation students can also apply for CAT 2021: If selected, these students shall be allowed to join the programme provisionally, provided, he/she submits a certificate from the Principal/Registrar of the college, stating that the candidate has fulfilled all the requirements of obtaining the Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent qualification on the date of issue of the certificate.
- Alternatively, the candidate must hold a professional degree (CA/CS/ICWA) securing the required percentage.
- The percentage of the marks obtained by the applicant shall be calculated based on the practice followed by the respective university/institution.
- In case of the CGPA/Grading System, the conversion to the percentage of marks shall be based on the procedure certified by the respective University/Institution, in accordance with the CAT Eligibility Criteria 2021. In case of the absence of a conversion system, the equivalence will be established by dividing the CGPA by the maximum possible CGPA, and then multiplying the result with 100, as per CAT Eligibility Criteria.
What a Candidate Needs?
A candidate must maintain a valid and unique email ID and a phone number, throughout the selection process.
Qualifications for CAT Eligibility Criteria 2021 Exam
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering/Technology (4 years after 10+2/Post B.Sc./Post Diploma) or B.E/B.Tech equivalent examinations, of Professional Societies, recognized by MHRD/UPSC/AICTE (e.g. AMIE by Institution of Engineers- India, AMICE by the Institute of Civil Engineers- India).
- Any Qualification recognized by Association of Indian Universities, New Delhi, which is equivalent to a Bachelor's Degree, awarded by UGC recognized University/Institutions.
NOTE: Cases not covered above equivalency certificate to be produced by Association of Indian Universities, New Delhi.
CAT 2021 Criteria for Reservation of Seats
As per the Government of India, IIMs and other government institutes have to follow the reservation criteria as given below:
- 15% seats are reserved for Scheduled Caste (SC)
- 7.5% seats are reserved for Scheduled Tribe candidates (ST)
- 27% are reserved for Other Backward Classes candidates belongings to the non-creamy layer (NC-OBC)
- 3% seats are reserved for Differently Abled candidates (DA).The three categories of disability are:
- Low vision blindness
- Hearing impairment and
- Locomotor disability/cerebral palsy
About the Caste Certificate
The caste certificate which they will submit to IIMs must carry the following information:
- Name of caste or tribe on the document.
- Whether the applicant belongs to Scheduled Caste or Scheduled Tribe.
- The state and District or Scheduled Caste or Scheduled Tribe.
- Appropriate approval by Government of India Scheduled.
During the application process, the reserved category applicants have to upload the documents (SC/ST/NC-OBC/PWD certificates) carefully. If not then your application may get rejected by IIMs.
IT is mentioned in the PWD Act, 1995 under Section 39, this rule is applicable if the candidate suffers from any of the listed disabilities to the extent of not less than 40 percent, as certified by a medical authority.
The applicants belonging to the reserved categories have to score minimum cutoff percentile at CAT 2021 along with the CAT eligibility criteria to be shortlisted for the admission process.
At the time of selection process or interview rounds, applicants must show the original documents and copies must be submitted at IIMs during the final admission process.
In case they are unable to submit the documents, they may not be considered under reserved categories.
Common Queries and FAQs about CAT 2021
Q1. I am a Final year student of Bachelor’s Degree. What marks should I enter in the CAT Application form?
Ans. You have to enter the last marks statement received from the University.
Q2. I am 38 years, a software engineer. Can I appear for CAT 2021?
Ans. Yes, you can apply. There is no age limit to appear for the CAT exam.
Q3. Can I use someone else email address to register in the exam?
Ans. No, the applicants must have their own email address. The registered email address will be used for passing all the information of CAT 2021 exam.
Q4. What are the time slots for CAT 2021 exam?
Ans. CAT exam will be held in the month of November in two sessions. Forenoon and afternoon session.
Q5. Can I select the time slot according to my schedule?
Ans. No, the candidates will be allotted a session depending on the test center availability and city preference.
Q6. If I have made a mistake at the time of CAT registration. Is it possible to correct the mistake and re-submit the form?
Ans. Name, Date of Birth, email ID, mobile number cannot be edited after registration. Changes can be done, if the candidate have done mistake(s) in pass percent, work experience, selection of programmes, etc. then they can do their corrections in the limited time period after the completion of registration date.
Q7. If I am in the final year of a professional course, but I have not done my graduation. Am I eligible for CAT 2021?
Ans. No, you are not eligible for the CAT 2021.
Q8. How can I access the application form?
Ans. Once the registration process is completed successfully, the system will generate User ID and Password. Use the given user ID and Password to log in and access the application form.
Q9. Am I eligible to appear for CAT 2021 with 49.8% marks in B.Tech?
Ans. With minimum 50% marks or equivalent CGPA for general category students and 45% marks or equivalent CGPA for reserved category students. If you are general category candidate, you cannot appear for CAT exam.
Q10. What is the scope of MBA after B.Tech?
Ans. MBA after B.Tech degree enhances your career prospects. It helps you to get a job in multitude companies at a management level in lieu of technical field.
Q.11 If I have lost my password, then what should I do?
Ans. Click on the Forgot Password option on the User login page. Follow the instructions and you will be sent a new password to your registered email address.
Q12. When and how can I register for CAT 2021?
Ans. The candidates can register for CAT 2021 from the official website from August onwards. The complete details of CAT 2021 application will be announced shortly and displayed on the official website of CAT.
Hope these CAT 2021 FAQs will help the aspirants to clear their doubts about the registration process.
Get, Set and Go for Kick Start Systematic Preparation Plan to Ace CAT 2021!
Stay ahead and Stay inspired with MBA Rendezvous