This is enormously off beam that negotiation just related to costing terms. When we write ‘negotiation’ word on educational website for students, surly we are not talking about those yelling sounds of our local sabzi mandi that enters to our ears unwilling ” bhaiya thoda kam dam laga lo” (please lower down the cost) or just getting discount on shopping. Yes, you are also right that negotiation is a process to get what you want. But your answer is not enough to get hundred out of hundred. There is big difference between bargain and negotiation. When we talk about bargain, females are best player but when it comes to negotiation term, we all are armature players. Hardly few of us know about what exactly negotiation means to our life. Negotiation is a field of knowledge and endeavor that focuses on gaining the favor of people from whom we want thing. It is the process of getting the best terms once the other side starts to act on their interest. In reality people negotiate every day.
Willingly or unwillingly we do negotiation but still we don’t know its ugly and beautiful face. Don’t raise your eyebrows, just sit and think about wider term of ‘negotiation’. When you start doing this exercise my following engrave will start matching your thoughts. So lets try to touch the depth of its meaning. Negotiation is the journey of how we get to the destination not the destination itself. This doesn't mean losing sight of the destination but rather paying more attention to how we get there.
You and your friend have one apple to share. How would you divide it? Will you slice apple in half? That’s the obvious solution but not necessarily the best one. May be you give full apple to him, or cut big portion for yourself and rest give it to your friend. Theory of jiggling ideas and thoughts and pick one of them according to your comfort is negotiation. Now, we reach at a point where we can say, studying the negotiation process is to explore how people can achieve their goals in a variety of business and personal situation. My thought of writing this article is just to make you aware that how you can find out right solutions of your problems by improving your negotiation skills both at personal and professional level. Many times it happens that students reroute their career path if they fail to pass in some entrance exam. Touchwood! If your repeated attempts to MBA entrance exam does not bring any fruitful result than what first thought comes to your mind? Sadly, but surly you would start thinking of other option of your career. You don't get what you want by compromising or giving in. But you might want to play the game a little differently. Imagine how much more effective you would be, and perhaps happier and more successful, if you better understood how to improve your negotiation skills. Identify your own negotiation style that would help you to improve, handle difficult situations when they arise and get the results you want. Timidity can be a hindrance when negotiating. Obviously, the more timid you are, the less likely you are to be able to stand up for your position, or negotiate with power.
- Don’t be needy: Remember, you want the deal, you don’t need the deal. If necessary, be prepared to walk away if the terms or conditions do not meet your expectations.
- Assumptions lead to compromise based on fear, driven by emotions: Emotions bog you down, cloud your ability to make clear decisions based on fact, and almost instantly give the advantage to the other side.
- The most important negotiating skill is listening: The truth is you don’t really know the answer unless you ask and then listen.
In business world, the ability to negotiate successfully in turbulent business climate can make the difference between success and failure. Most negotiators enter a negotiation with the desire of achieving their set goals. Affirmed negotiation goals are usually very well defined and measurable. Skilled business negotiators are most likely innately persuasive. This does not mean you can’t learn to be more persuasive, and thus, a better negotiator.
Like us, business professionals use to do negotiate every day on topics ranging from work assignments, project delivery dates and even business travel. "What's your best price? That's too expensive. Your competitor is selling the same thing for…." Most salesmen and business owners hear such statements every day. That means it is important to learn how to negotiate more effectively. Many of us have never received any formal negotiation training. Unless we are an attorney or a salesperson, the art and skill of negotiation is an unknown or unperfected process to us. Remember, Negotiation is a skill that can always be enhanced. Learn from what works, but also, pay attention to human psychology.
Life is a series of negotiations. As teenagers, we negotiated with our parents to borrow the books, dress etc. Today, we negotiate with our employers for better benefits; we negotiate with our spouse for rights over the remote control to the television and we negotiate when we buy a car. Negotiating is a way of life in some cultures. And most people negotiate in some way almost every day. Apply these negotiation strategies and you will notice a difference in your negotiation skills almost immediately. We are always negotiating.
Successful negotiating requires preparation. Be prepared with a strong understanding of your needs and motivations, with the help of few guidelines why don’t you build up your own steps of stairs to reach your own goals? How is that fascinating idea that can polish your business skills? By understanding what makes people tick; you can find a way to get them to see your point of view. Let’s check out the negotiation skill tact’s of good salesman that would help to burnish your skills too as follows:
- Learn to flinch: The flinch is one of the oldest negotiation tactics but one of the least used. A flinch is a visible reaction to an offer or price. The objective of this negotiation tactic is to make the other people feel uncomfortable about the offer they presented. Start your talks with easy-to-settle issues.
- Recognize that people often ask for more than they expect to get. This means you need to resist the temptation to automatically reduce your price or offer a discount.
- The person with the most information usually does better: You need to learn as much about the other person's situation. This is a particularly important negotiation tactic for sales people. It is also important to learn as much about your competitors as possible. This will help you defeat possible price objections and prevent someone from using your competitor as leverage.
- Practice at every opportunity: Most people hesitate to negotiate because they lack the confidence. Develop this confidence by negotiating more frequently. Ask for discounts from your suppliers. As a consumer, develop the habit of asking for a price break when you buy from a retail store.
- Maintain your walk away power: It is better to walk away from a sale rather than make too large a concession or give a deep discount your product or service. After attending my workshops, salespeople often tell that this negotiation strategy gives them the most leverage when dealing with customers.
- Negotiating is a process not an event. One conversation may not culminate in a final decision.
- Show that you understand the other party’s position.
- Diffuse resistance in advance.
- Avoid making people angry—they will retaliate by rejecting your argument.
- Write down a list of arguments in favor of your position before the negotiation.
- Present your favored viewpoint last because your audience will remember the end better than the beginning.
- People believe numbers and statistics that come from a reputable source.
- Be accurate and provide backup details.
- State your conclusion explicitly.
- People will hesitate to argue with someone of higher status. So try to maintain it with your presentation.
From the above points it is clear, often times in order to receive what we want, we first must negotiate for it but we should always take care that it should not be a negotiation of our values. Negotiation is not about taking advantage of someone else. Just the opposite, Effective negotiation creates a win-win situation.
For such topics of your concern, please keep on visiting www.mbarendezvous.com, Portal with Management by objective approach.