Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS)
The TISS in Mumbai was established in 1936. It is the first school of social work in India. TISS was a pioneering effort, characteristic of the Sir Dorabji Tata Trust (SDTT).
It was earlier known as Sir Dorabji Tata Graduate School of Social Work but it was renamed as the Tata Institute of Social Sciences in the year of 1944. The year 1964 was an important landmark in the history of the Institute, when it was recognized as a Deemed University by the University Grants Commission (UGC) of India.
Since then, the TISS has been expanding continuously in terms of educational programs and infrastructure. And now the institute is offering various programs in different streams like health and hospital administration, human resource management, personnel management, research methodology and so on. However, it offers one of best post graduate courses in Human Resources Management (HRM) in Asia.
National Entrance Test (TISS-NET) is computer based. Exam will be conducted on 6th January, 2018 at all India level.
|Last Date for Online form APPLICATION / REGISTRATION for All Master's programmes||December 8, 2017|
|Issue of Admit Cards (Online )||December 21, 2017 Thursday|
|Exam Date||January 6, 2018|
|Announcement of TISS-NET results||January 27, 2018|
|Candidates who appeared for the national entrance test will have to visit the TISS website and login to download your score card||February, 2018 at 8:00pm|
- Candidates having a bachelor's degree with minimum of 3 years duration or its equivalent ( under the 10+2+3 or 10+2+4 or 10+2+2+1 year bridge course pattern of study or any other pattern fulfilling the mandatory requirements of 15 years formal education) from a recognized university are eligible to apply
- At the time of applying candidates studying in 3 year degree programme should have passed in all the subjects for the 1st to 4th semesters and candidates studying in 4 year degree programmes should have passed in all the subjects for 1st to 6th semester.
- Only those Candidates who will be able to complete all the requirements of their final year Bachelor's Degree examinations by Saturday, June 2, 2018 are eligible to apply to all the programme.
- Till the time the candidate submits results of the final year degree examination, admission to any of the Master's Degree Programmes of the Institute will be provisional. The results of the final examination have to be submitted before September 30, 2018. Those who fail to do so the provisional admission stands cancelled.
TISSNET Exam Pattern 2018/Syllabus
|Topic||No. of Questions||Total Marks Allotted|
|Maths + Logical Reasoning||30||30|
TISSNET exam consist of General Awareness, Maths + Logical Reasoning, English Proficiency
Environment & ecology, Politics/History/Governance/Law, Economy/ Policy, International politics/ current events, Gender/Health/Education, Labour, Media/ICTs/Literature/Art/Culture and Sports
Profit and Loss, Averages, Basic Geometry, Ratio and Proportion and Percentages
Bar graph, Tables, Pie chart, Double pie chart, Case lets, Multiple graphs, Line graphs, Data comparison
Number Series, Alphabet Series, Eye for detail, Statement Conclusion/Assumption/ Arguments, Logical Connectivity, Linear/Circular/Family Arrangement, Venn Diagram, Puzzles and Puzzles
- Visit and Register at https://appln.tiss.edu/
- Candidates can apply for a maximum of three programmes across any two of the TISS Campuses and other Centre locations
- Candidates are requested to read the eligibility criteria before filling the application form Candidates are requested to submit their documents in the same format as mention in table:
TISSNET 2018 is scheduled for January 6, 2018. Candidates can download the admit cards on December 21, 2017. Candidates must login on the official website with the registered e-mail ID and password. Candidates must take a print out of the admit card and are advised to check all the details mentioned on it.
Candidates must carry their admit cards on the day of the exam, failed to do so they will not be allowed to appear in the exam.
Important Exam Facts
|Exam Name||TISS 2018|
|Exam Date||January 6, 2018|
|Exam Timings||2 PM - 3:40 PM|
|Institutes accepting this exam score||Tata Institute of Social Sciences|
|Total Duration of the exam||1 Hour 40 Minutes|
|Total number of questions||100|
The selection of candidates for different programmes happens in two stages and has three components of assessment. All candidates appear for the National entrance test (TISSNET). Based on the performance in the TISSNET examination, only short listed candidates are called for the Pre Interview Test and Personal Interview. (PIT/PI)
|Marks for Different Components of Assessment|
|National Common Written Test||100 marks|
|Pre-Interview Test/GD||75 marks|
|Personal Interview||50 marks|
Pre-Interview Test (PIT)
For all the programmes across TISS Campuses, the PIT will be in the form of a Written Test (or Group Discussion for a few programmes).
Personal Interview (PI):
Candidates will appear for a personal interview after the PIT. They are advised to acquaint themselves with the programme for which they have applied, as questions may be asked questions on related topics during the PI.
PIT/PI is organised at four campuses: Mumbai, Tuljapur, and Hyderabad and Guwahati campuses. Candidates for programmes from Mumbai and other locations will come to Mumbai Campus for the PIT/PI. Candidates selected for programmes at Tuljapur, Hyderabad, Guwahati will attend PIT/PI at those campuses
Final Merit List Preparation
- Weightage for List: NET – 40%; PIT – 30%; PI – 30%.
- Merit List is prepared on basis of merit list and preference filled in application form.
- In case if there is a tie between two candidates their PI marks will be preferred, in case if there is tie between their PI marks their PIT will be considered, if their PIT tie then Entrance exam will be preferred if Entrance exam is also tie then the candidate with high age will be given preference.
TISS 2018: Important Features
- The first noteworthy feature of the TISS exam is that it hasn't had negative marking, sectional time limits or sectional cut-offs, at least for the last 2-3 years. This means that you have all the reason to focus on the sections you are good at and still can manage to score good in those which troubles you a lot. It also gives you the opportunity in the end to try your luck and take blind guesses for the questions which you were not able to solve.
- The second thing is that applicants to the HRM program have to take two tests. The first one is common across all the 16 post graduate courses of TISS and it seeks to test your basic cognitive ability. The second test is different for each course and the one for the HRM program is more or less like any other management entrance test.
- Both the tests happen differently and one has to do well in both the test in order to get to the next stage.
Exam Analysis TISSNET
There has been not much difference in the exam pattern as compared to previous years. It has been conducted across 39 centers in different parts of the nation.
The exam has 3 sections – Math and Logical Reasoning, English Proficiency and General Awareness. The no of questions in 2015 in Math and Logical reasoning were 35, 30 and 35 in English Proficiency and General Awareness respectively.
Students have to attempt the questions in 100 minutes. There is no negative marking.
For the year 2016 and 2017 there has been a change in the no of questions. Given below is the sectional wise breakup of the exam:
|Sections||Sections No. of Questions||Total Marks|
|Analytical Ability and Logical Reasoning||30||30|
The results of TISSNET 2018 will be declared on January 27, 2018. Candidates can check their score cards online on the website. No hard copies of the score card will be sent to the candidates. Candidates can download their score card with their user ID and password.
A merit list will be prepared for selection process. The list will carry the names of the candidates who will attend the Pre-Interview Test (PIT) / Group Discussion, and Personal Interview rounds. Candidates are advised to keep their score card safe until the admission process is over.
National Entrance Test (TISS-NET) is computer based. It will be held in January, 2018 in 35 centres (below mentioned) in different parts of the country.
|Northern Region||Chandigarh, Dehradun, Delhi, Faridabad, Ghaziabad, Jaipur, Lucknow, Noida, Varanasi Greater Noida, Mohali|
|Eastern Region||Bhubaneshwar, Guwahati, Jamshedpur, Kolkata, Patna, Raipur, Ranchi, Dimapur, Silchar, Patna|
|Western Region||Ahmedabad, Aurangabad, Bhopal, Gwalior, Indore, Mumbai, Nagpur, Pune, Solapur, Navi-Mumbai, Thane|
|Southern Region||Bengaluru, Chennai, Hyderabad, Kochi, Visakhapatnam, Calicut, Madurai, Thiruvananthapuram, Kozhikode|
Note: The Institute may cancel any test centre and/or assign a nearby centre to a candidate, if the situation so demands.
Q.1 I am facing a Document upload issue, what should i do?
A. Candidates are requested to follow the following steps:
Step 1: Candidates should first check the list of documents to be uploaded in the FAQ and should keep the same ready before they log in.
Step 2: Candidates are advised to complete the application process in one session to minimize the possibility of document not being uploaded
Step 3: If the Candidate closes the application during the process with / without uploading all the required documents - then make sure to check if those documents were successfully uploaded when you log in the next time. Login Link: CLICK HERE TO VISIT THE ONLINE APPLICATION SYSTEM
Step 4: If Document upload fails once, you are advised to check the size or resolution or the file type of the documents you are uploading (check FAQ for size and format guidelines) and re upload the documents. Even if the size and resolution is correct please try uploading once more.