Prof. Janat Shah
Prof. Janat Shah is the founding director and professor of Operations Management at IIM Udaipur. After graduating as a mechanical engineer from the Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai, Prof. Shah worked with industry for about five years. He has obtained his Fellow in Management from the Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad. He is a leading authority in the fields of Supply Chain Management and Operations Strategy. His book has been used in MBA and executive MBA courses at IIM Bangalore as well as at numerous other business schools throughout India. He has also published extensively in national and international journals.
Prof. Shah has consulted with and been responsible for management education programs for executives in, several companies, including Aditya Birla Group, Bharti Airtel, IBM, Infosys Ltd., Ingersoll Rand, Mahindra & Mahindra, Marico Industries, Tata Chemical, Tata Motors, Tata Teleservices, Yokogawa Blue Star. He has also helped companies design and develop decision-support systems for supply chain management.
- Chairperson of the Post Graduate Program, IIM Bangalore
- Coordinator of the Management Programme for Technologists, IIM Bangalore
- Chairperson Supply Chain Management Center, IIM Bangalore
- Visiting Scholar at The Sloan School of Management, MIT
- Visiting faculty at The Logistic Institute, National University of Singapore
- President, Society of Operations Management India from 2008 to 2010
- Special Professor, Nottingham University
- Holds a place in editorial board of International Journal of Procurement Management, International Journal of Product Lifecycle Management and International Journal of Logistics: Research & Applications
- Author of 'Supply Chain Management: Text and cases'
- Principal researcher of the team which has won IBM faculty awards three times (2005, 2006 and 2008) for their work on human resource supply chain management
Awards & Achievements:
Recipient of several teaching awards, Prof. Shah was also voted as the best teacher by MBA class of 1999. He was the principal researcher of the team which has won IBM faculty awards three times (2005, 2006 and 2008) for their work on human resource supply chain management. He has also been part of an international team which worked on a large project funded by EU commission.
- Supply chain risk management in India–practical insights (2015) - International Journal of Logistics Research and Applications
- International Journal of Logistics Research and Applications - International Journal of Operational Research
- Inventory trends in emerging market supply chains: Evidence from the Indian automotive industry - IIMB Management Review
- Supply chain strategies based on recourse model for very short life cycle products - International Journal of Production Economics (2010)
- Tapping product returns through Efficient Reverse Supply Chains: Opportunities and Issues - IIMB Management Review
- Supply chain risk management in India – Practical Insights - International Symposium on Logistics, Vienna, Austria – 7-10 July 2013
- Water Supply Chain Risk: Measurement and Management - 22nd International Conference on Production Research, Brazil – July 28- August 1, 2013
- Supply Chain Risk Management Research in an Indian Context - 17th International Symposium on Logistics, Cape Town, South Africa – 8-11 July 2012
- Supply Chain Issues in Apparel Industry - Published by University of Nottingham
- ECR implementation in India - Published by University of Nottingham