IIM-Ahmedabad was established in 1961 as an autonomous institute by the Government of India in collaboration with State Government of Gujarat and Indian Industry.
The model of IIM-A was developed when Dr. Vikram Sarabhai and a few spirited industrialists realized that agriculture, education, health, transportation, population control, energy and public administration were vital elements in a growing society, and that it was necessary to efficiently manage these industries.
They played a major role in the creation of institute which is spread a 100 acre of campus and has evolved from being India’s Premier management institute to a notable international school of management in just four decades.
The building of the Indian Institute of Management in Ahmedabad has been designed by the most influential architect of 20th century, Louis Kahn in 1962, on invitation of an Indian architect Balkrishna Doshi.
The Institute had initial collaboration with Harvard Business School, Kellogg School and Wharton School and this collaboration greatly influenced the Institute's approach to education. Gradually, it emerged as a confluence of the best of Eastern and Western values.
Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (IIMA) has been ranked 56th globally in The Economist full-time MBA programmes ranking 2012
The Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (IIMA), has been ranked at the 11th position in the FT (Financial Times) Global MBA Ranking 2012 in its top 100 list of B- Schools.
The Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (IIMA), has been ranked 10th in the FT (Financial Times) Masters in Management 2012 Rankings.
The Two-Year Post-Graduate Programme in Agricultural Business Management (PGP-ABM) offered by the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad has been rated as No. 1 in the World provided by Eduniversal, Paris, France.
Having consistently remained as the premier business school in India, IIM-A has also grown to be one of the leaders of applied management education and development in Asia, and one of the finest institutions for management education in the world.
Following Courses are offered by IIM Ahmedabad:
• Post Graduate Programme in Management (PGP) - The most prestigious Programme of IIM Ahmadabad is Post Graduate Programme in Management, which has been rated as the toughest MBA programme in the world to get admission.
• Fellow Programme in Management (FPM) - This is a Doctoral Programme offered by IIM-A which contains 10 areas of specialization research training. Applicants generally spend four to five years to fulfill this Doctoral Programme with 2 years of rigorous course work. The Students of FDP – Fellow Programme Management are evaluated by their past academic achievements.
• Post Graduate Programme in Public Management and Policy (PGP- PMP) - This is a “one year” full time residential programme for professionals with 7years of working experience.
• Post Graduate Programme in Agribusiness Management (PGP-ABM) - It contains two years of course duration which is residential programme designed to make students confident to manage agriculture, food , Agribusiness , rural and various other allied sectors of Indian economy. There are 30 seats available for this programme.
This programme has been rated as Number 1 in World Ranking provided by Eduniversal, Paris, France on 24th December, 2011.
• Post-Graduate Programme in Management for Executives (PGPX) - It is a one year full time residential programme for executive having substantial work experience. To develop bright, enthusiastic and desperate executive in the top management of companies, IIM Ahmadabad has designed this course. The Admission is based on rigorous process including GMAT scores, Leadership profiles and Personal Interviews.
• Faculty Development Programme (FDP) - IIM-A has developed this course for Teachers, Researchers and Trainers in HRD to train colleges and Industrial units to manage their education requirements. To get Admission in FDP IIM Ahmadabad, the candidates should have 2 years of post graduate level of teaching experience or Industrial/ Researcher experience. Selection procedure would depend on teaching and research experience.
For detailed information about courses visit : http://www.iimahd.ernet.in/programmes.html
IIM-A’s unique features make it country’s number one B-school. “Vikram Sarabhai Library” of IIM-A is an invaluable resource for students, researchers and faculties of business and management. The library has, over the years built a robust collection of over 1,71,046 books, 42,004 bound volumes, 527 current subscription to journals and news papers, 2191 working papers, and many other resources like thesis (260), student's project reports (1709), CDs (1755) and videos (128).
Spread over 20,120 sq. ft., the library also provides access to the best of business and management related digital resources through its subscription to various databases consisting of scholarly and industry relevant content. The library has set up 3i (Information Infrastructure for Institution) network to make available 24x7 hours information to users about business, industry, environment, agricultural and economy.
For virtual tour of learning center one can visit : http://www.iimahd.ernet.in/library
IIM-A has one of the finest faculties in the world comprising distinguished academicians, eminent entrepreneurs, theoreticians and scholars to set the highest standards of teaching in business management. Its founders introduced the concept of faculty governance at very beginning since then all the members of the faculty play an important role in administering the diverse academic and non-academic activities of the Institute. The empowerment of the faculty has been the propelling force behind the high quality of learning experience at IIM-A.
More than half of the faculty members have PhDs from prominent foreign management institutes/ universities. Most of faculties have rich prior experience at eminent business schools at both home and abroad including London Business School, University of Texas at Austin, McGill University, Tulane University, and University of Massachusetts at Amherst and some of them have also worked with firms such as HP in the US, Rolls Royce in the UK and South Africa, AF Ferguson in South East Asia and Mitchell Madison in the US.
IIM-A faculty actively involves itself in research and authors books in their field of expertise at an international level and every year faculty attends international conferences to get in touch with the international research platform.
Executive education is another important programme of IIM-A which links faculty members to the corporate world. Over the years, the Institute has established itself as a leader in executive education in India. Almost the entire faculty of the Institute is involved in conducting executive education program and International MDPs.
As a leading management institute only in Asia, IIM-A has close connections with industry and policy makers in India and abroad. These connections arise out of consulting and customized training that the faculty do with organizations; they flow from the placements with firms around the world, from the participation of alumni in institute activities, from the sponsorship of industry in research activities.
Leading companies from almost all sectors have turned up to IIMs to recruit the best talent of the country. IIM-A has given the best leaders to industries. Its notable Alumni includes following big names of corporate world:
• Late Dr. C K Prahalad (Professor, Ross School of Business)
• M.S. Banga (Senior partner at the private equity fund Clayton Dubilier & Rice)
• K.V. Kamath (Chairman of Infosys Technologies)
• Ivan Menezes (President and CEO, Diageo North America)
• Jaithirth Rao ( Businessman and former CEO of the software company MphasiS)
• Som Mittal (President of NASSCOM)
• S Sivaramakrishnan (CEO of ILFS Trust)
• Harsha Bhogle, (Famous cricket commentator)
( * above are few notable names from many )
IIM-A is EQUIS accredited and considered as one of the premier institutes in India. Professor Samir K Barua is the present director of IIM-A.
IIM A has become an island of excellence and integrity and it is the first preference of more than 2 Lac CAT aspirants to take admission for management studies.
Know more on IIMs and top B schools in India stay informed and stay inspired at MBA Rendezvous