The Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta (IIMC) was established as the first national institute for Post-Graduate studies and Research in Management by the Government of India in November 1961 in collaboration with Alfred P. Sloan School of Management (MIT), the Government of West Bengal, The Ford Foundation and Indian industry. Today, the institute serves as an autonomous body, continually evolving to meet its goals in an ever-changing business environment.
Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta, IIM Calcutta
I hope you enjoy reading this Article. If you want me and my team to help you with your MBA College Selection and "Get Unbiased Advice", Connect with us on WhatsApp . - Lavleen Kaur Kapoor
The vision of the Institute is to emerge as an International Centre of Excellence in all aspects of Management Education, rooted in Indian ethos and societal values. Over the past four decades, IIM Calcutta has blossomed into one of Asia's finest Business Schools. Its strong ties to the business community make it an effective mechanism for the promotion of professional management practices in Indian organizations.
Over the years, IIMC has grown into a mature institution with global reputation, imparting high quality management education. It has been playing a pioneering role in professionalizing Indian management through its Post Graduate and Doctoral level programs, Executive Training Programs, Research and Consulting Activities.
IIM-C offers following Management Programmes :
• PGDM (Post Graduate Diploma in Management)- It’s a full time two year residential program, designed to train students to become excellent general managers and high-level decision makers with broad strategic vision. Course has two-tier structure that helps students to develop a global view and thinking to respond effectively to changes in the economic, technological, cultural and political environments.
• PGPEX (Post Graduate Programme for Executives)- One Year Residential Program for Executives gives mid-career professionals the ideal platform to augment their existing skill sets for senior and top management roles in the industry.
• PGPEX-VLM (Post Graduate Program for Executives for Visionary Leadership in Manufacturing) is a unique program that fulfills the current industry’s growing demand for techno-managerial leaders who shape the neo-industrial revolution. One year full time residential program is being conducted jointly by 3 premier institutes of India : IIM-C, IIT-Kanpur and IIT-Madras.
• Fellow Programme in Management (FPM) of IIM-C is a full time Doctoral level Management Programme. This programme is aimed at preparing students for careers in teaching or research in different disciplines of management, as well as for that career that demand a high degree of research and analytical abilities.
The FPM allows students to specialize in the following areas :
• Behavioural Sciences
• Finance & Control
• Management Information Systems (MIS)
• Human Resource Management
• Operations Management
• Operations Research and Systems Analysis (ORSA)
• Public Policy and Management
• Regional Development
• Strategic Management
FPM information seekers can email at [email protected]
The main campus of IIM-C is located in JOKA, on the outskirts of Kolkata. Its foundation stone was laid by Sri Morarji Desai on December 15, 1968. The institute has moved to its present campus which is equipped with world class facilities. New campus is designed by the internationally acclaimed architect Christopher Charles Benninger of Pune, India.
This new residential campus is connected to the existing campus via an innovative steel bridge which was awarded the most innovative steel structure in India in 2010 by the Indian Institute of Steel Research and Development, Ministry of Industries, Government of India.
The sprawling 135-acre campus, with its seven lakes and verdant beauty provides an idyllic backdrop for the sharpest minds in the country to indulge their unbridled curiosity. It is this perfectly conducive environment that is also home to the country's top notch talent in academia, industry, and research.
IIM-C main Academic Block is situated next to the main administrative building and has four large lecture halls along with several additional classrooms. Another academic building named New Teaching Block was opened in 2000 to supplement the main block. A separate TATA Hall provides accommodation to executives coming for Management Development Programmes. The campus also has its own post office and other facilities like ATM of both SBI and ICICI banks, a café coffee day outlet and medical facilities etc are available inside the campus.
For IIM-C panaromic view visit http://www.iimcal.ac.in/about-iimc/campus/panaromic-view
The IIM-C has one of the Asia’s best management library, named as BC Roy Memorial Library, after the name of Bidhan Chandra Roy who was the first Chairman of the institute and second Chief Minister of the state of West Bengal. It has a collection of more than 1.6 Lac volumes of books and bound journals and it subscribes to 500 journals. It provides access to more than 40,000 online full text journals. The functions and services of the library are computerized and remain open for 362 days.
Professor Shekhar Choudhuri is the present director of IIM-C. During the initial years of IIM-C, several prominent academics and visionaries formed part of its core faculty team, includingJagdish Sheth, J. K. Sengupta, Paul Samuelson, Peter S King, Thomas Hill among others.
IIM Calcutta carries a unique and distinctive identity among top Asian business schools owing to its strong emphasis on combining academic rigor and relevance, and maintaining plurality and diversity in form, content and methodology.
Rapid globalisation and changing consumer attitudes demand leverage knowledge and adaptability. Management Development Programs (MDP) at IIM-C cater to this new mindset. IIM-C offers analytical insights and skills, and provides a thorough knowledge base so that today's practicing managers can emerge as leaders of tomorrow.
Leading corporate houses and non-profit organizations also interact with IIM-C to design tailor-made programs and training modules capable of meeting specific management needs, with a focus on their own environment and priorities.
IIM-C offers satellite based part-time certificate programs for executives through the HCIL and NIIT Imperia platforms. Programs on general management and certain functional areas are offered through this mode.
For more details visit http://programslive.iimcal.ac.in/executive-education
With alumni like PepsiCo Chairman Indra Nooyi, Rediff.com founder Ajit Balakrishnan,
IIM- Calcutta is indeed a desirable B-school across the country. IIM-C is known for its excellent placements, highly experienced faculty, and for its stress on student-industry interaction.
Few more notable names as IIM-C alumni include:
• Sunil Alagh (Former MD and CEO, Britannia Industries)
• Dr. Krishna Palepu (Professor, Harvard Business School)
• Dr. Mohanbir Sawhney(Director of the Center for Research in Technology & Innovation at the Kellogg School of Management)
• Vikrant Bhargava (Group Marketing Director, PartyGaming)
• Malli Mastan Babu (World record holder for summiting the highest peaks of 7 continents in the minimum time)
IIM-Calcutta is also known as the 'Finance Campus of India'. As reported in media report this year the finance sector contributed the largest number of offers, nearly 31.3 per cent.
Today, IIM- Calcutta attracts the best talent from India and abroad. IIM-C carries a unique and distinctive identity among top Asian business schools owing to its strong emphasis on combining academic rigor and relevance, and maintaining plurality and diversity in form, content and methodology.
To get equipped with latest about IIM-C programmes and other activities visit : www.iimcal.ac.in
Know more on IIMs and top B schools in India stay informed and stay inspired at MBA Rendezvous