Advantages for Part-Time MBA
Part Time MBA is quite FRUITFUL. MBA Rendezvous brings you the 4F’s of a part time MBA from a good reputed institution
Financial – One of the major advantages that a part time MBA course offers is in terms of the finances. There are multiple factors that make it lucrative for mid-career professionals to choose this option. Let’s take a closer look:
1. For many aspirants, it may not be a very viable option to leave a full time, well paying job and get back to studying. This is where part time MBA comes into picture
2. Adding an MBA may be helpful in increasing your chances of faring better in the professional set up in terms of better positions and salaries, if leaving that job may not be practical enough.
3. Part time MBA course offers you the security of your job salary along with managing the expenses of the new course
Flexible – The buzz-word with part time MBA course is that it offers flexibility. Let’s take a closer look:
1. It offers a mix of weekend classes, evening weekday classes, and week-long classes with a break
2. Students can opt for either or a mix of these 3 options based on their choice
3. Some schools may also offer options to switch between these 3 options as per convenience
4. The flexibility offered in courses helps the students/professionals work in the same field or vertical
Functional – The part time MBA course is designed to serve a purpose of being functional. Let’s take a closer look:
1. It keeps you on the job and you can keep functioning in a work environment meanwhile accentuating your education
2. It offers great opportunities of networking both in your existing organisation and with the other professionals you meet through the course
3. With new skills being added to the existing job profile, professionals can expand across functions – verticals or horizontals – in their existing work place.
4. It helps you enhance and update your present knowledge base and apply the functional knowledge of classroom at your workplace
Favourable – There are many factors that make part time MBA courses a favourable choice for students. Let’s take a closer look:
1. It makes it convenient for having a steady job income along with an added degree
2. It is quite a lucrative offer to retain the skilled professionals in the current setup of the organisations. While the employee peruses the part time MBA course he/she promises to bring more to the table while still being in the job. Sometimes a few companies may sponsor the tuition fee also
3. With continuous on the job learning that the students get, it provides an all round exposure to them
Disadvantages of Part Time MBA
Every coin has a flip side to it and that’s what is important for aspiring professionals to understand the few DOWNSIDES of choosing a Part Time MBA over any other option. MBA Rendezvous brings you the 3D’s.
Duration – One of the biggest disadvantages of a part time MBA course is the amount of time it takes to complete it. Let’s take a closer look:
1. A usual full time / executive MBA course takes only 1 to 2 years, however a part time course can easily take up to 3 to 5 years
2. A longer time frame for graduating as an MBA could mean that the prospects of the particular field may lessen with time
3. Students need to be sure that they would be able to manage the finances for such a long duration. There are overhead expenses in terms of travel that the students need to manage.
Discrimination – The part time MBA students may sometimes feel alienated due to a number of reasons. Let’s take a closer look:
1. The impression of a part time MBA student may not be a very positive one when compared to a full time student
2. The part time students get lesser opportunities to take part in social events, clubs, etc due to work/class hours
3. Most B-schools that offer part time MBA courses do not allow students to participate in on-campus recruitment events. Thus students need to struggle more than their full-time counterparts
4. The market value of part-time MBA is less as compared to a full-time program.
Drive – The enthusiasm or drive to finish the course may go for a toss for part time MBA students. Let’s take a closer look:
1. With extended timelines, students may lose motivation and interest eventually
2. Balancing work, academics and personal life may bring the students under tremendous pressure which may dampen their morals
3. Scholarships are not offered to part time students. So if you are someone who is not in a well paying job but still want to pursue an MBA, this could lessen your drive to achieve what you want
4. Because there is less interaction with the peers, it lessens the overall learning from each other and may make a student feel not very positive.
At the end of the day, a candidate must know that the degree offered at the end of the part time MBA program is same as that of the full time program. However one must weigh there pros and cons and take the decision wisely.
Stay informed, Stay ahead and stay inspired with MBA Rendezvous