The fourth edition of the cultural, sports and management fest, AArunya 4.0 was held on 8th and 9th February 2020. Lt Gen K J Singh (Veteran), State Information Commissioner, Member Chandigarh & Panchkula Advisory Councils was the chief guest for inauguration ceremony and Shri Shivdular Singh Dhillon, Deputy Commissioner, Amritsar was invited as the esteemed Chief Guest in the closing ceremony at AArunya. The inauguration ceremony began at 9:30 a.m. on 8th February with Prof. Mahima Gupta, Student Affairs Chairperson, IIM Amritsar delivering the inaugural speech. She was appreciative of the hard work and extraordinary efforts put in by the students to make the event possible. Prof. Mahima asserted that since its inception in 2015, IIM Amritsar ensures the holistic development of the students, where students get enough exposure in terms of conclaves, guest lectures and case study competitions. However, Aarunya ensures the overall participation in terms of cultural, sports and management events. Last year IIM Amritsar celebrated Aarunya with the theme being ‘Mitti Di Khushboo”, while this year the theme is “Veer-e-Hind”, as a salute to the valor of soldiers. Then, the Chief Guest, Lt Gen K J Singh thanked IIM Amritsar for recognizing the army contribution and paying a collective tribute to the armed forces through this fest. He congratulated IIM Amritsar for being the fastest growing IIM and urged the students to indulge in good activities and be a responsible citizen of this country. Guest of Honor, Mr. Sanjay Kumar Malhotra, Regional Manager, SBI, thanked the student council, IIM Amritsar for inviting him as the guest of honor and praised the students for organizing the fest. Director, Prof. Nagarajan Ramamoorthy expressed gratitude to the chief guests and highlighted the fact that the students at IIM Amritsar have done well not just in terms of placements, but overall in terms of organizing events, guest lectures, etc. He also stated that IIM Amritsar will soon have a permanent campus. After the inauguration the floor was opened for the management events.
The first day of this two-day extravaganza witnessed tremendous zest and energy from the participants from various institutes across India. A healthy spirit of competition could be seen in the premises of the campus. A plethora of events were covered under the umbrella of Management, Sports and Cultural Fests on first day. In the management circle, students got an opportunity to showcase their managerial acumen in the fields of Finance, Marketing, Operations, Strategy and HR with very interesting events such as Pit Trading, Brand Bizarre, Samadhan, White Ball Analytics, etc. First day of the festival also saw students competing in various outdoor sporting events like Cricket, Football as well as indoor sporting events like Chess, Table Tennis etc. Under the cultural events, various activities and games were organized that multiplied the fun experience of the participants. Also, the event saw various students participating in Nukkad Natak. The Fashion Show not only encompassed the modern trends but more importantly conveyed the strong messages of breaking tout of social stigma and embracing your true self.
- ‘The Team’ from IMI Delhi won the Expanding Horizons event- a case study competition that gauged one’s entrepreneurial acumen through a profound application of the key concepts of international business, strategic decision making, finance, and economics.
- ‘Dream Crushers’ from CCS NIAM, Jaipur won the ‘Pit Trading’ event- An open outcry, a method of verbal and hand signal communication used by traders at stock and future tradings. Signals and shouts convey trading information, intentions, and acceptance in the trading pits. Participants were expected to convert chaos to profit here.
- ‘WeMavericks’ from Prin. L. N. Welingkar Institute of Management development and Research, Mumbai won the ‘Srijan’ event which was based on Employer Branding. Here the participants got an opportunity to create a company of theirs, where they showcased their Employer Branding strategy during the fest.
The major attraction of the festival, ‘The Local Train’ Band mesmerized everyone with their high voltage music and these performances were power-packed and left the audience with unforgettable memories.
In the second day of the festival, the cultural night had a band performance by ‘ALO the Band’. Aarunya 4.0 also saw the presence of ‘Sunburn’. The amount of enthusiasm in the crowd was mindboggling. While the students grooved to the beats, tunes and rhythm of ALO the band, Sunburn set out an adrenaline rush with her tantalizing and electrifying mix of music.
With the sights of the students in their sports attire, business suits and cultural attires, the IIM Campus looked imbued in the confluence of diverse styles and colors. The second day also saw various events where students battled out for the apex position in their respective competitions. In the various cultural events like Solo Dance, Group Dance etc. and the finals of various sporting competitions of Cricket, Futsal, Badminton etc. the student displayed their finesse. Also, teams from various premier B-schools presented excellent presentations and case presentations in the finals of various events related to Marketing, Operations, Strategy, HR, Finance etc.
- Team ‘Knight’ from IIM Amritsar won the ‘Insight Out’ event- an event which gives participants a platform to dissect a company and show its true face. Since, he whole system of stock markets is based upon the idea of equity valuation; hence it is the backbone of the modern financial system. It enables companies with sound business models to command a premium in the market. The winner team was given a prize money of Rs. 10,000.
- Team ‘Quizzers’ from ‘Welingkar’ won the ‘Ops- Samadhan’ event- It was a national level case study competition in which participants were given a case about a Hyperlocal Delivery startup which is planning to expand its operations. The winner team was given a prize money of Rs. 10,000.
- Team ‘We Warriors’ from IMI Delhi won the ‘Ishtihara 4.0’ event- a marketing event wherein participants designed a campaign for the combination of a company and cause allotted on the spot. The winner team was given a prize money of Rs. 10,000.
- Team from IIM Amritsar won the ‘Ops- Simulation’ event- It was a computer based Beer game simulation game. In which team were tested upon their operation Management skills. Teams from various colleges participated in the event. The winner team was given a prize money of Rs. 10,000.
The students of IIM Amritsar not only competed with the fellow students from different institutes but also made every attempt to promote a friendly and warm atmosphere for everyone. This warm fusion of ‘Veer-e-Hind’ mixed with a sense of warmth and verve helped IIM Amritsar cap off AArunya 4.0 in a grand fashion.
Stay informed, Stay ahead and stay inspired with MBA Rendezvous