The Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode (IIMK) completed twenty four years of academic excellence and celebrated its twenty-fifth foundation day here on August 21, 2020. The institute marked the occasion by launching year-long Silver Jubilee Celebrations beginning with a panel discussion involving the current and former Directors of the Institute, which fondly recollected IIMK’s long journey and charted the plan for the future course. The Silver Jubilee celebration of IIMK’s journey will culminate on August 21, 2021.
IIMK has achieved academic rigour, research focus and education excellence making brand IIM Kozhikode a household name in India. Recalling this incredible journey, former Directors Prof. Vinayshil Gautam, Prof. Amarlal Kalro, Prof. Krishna Kumar along with the present Director, Prof. Debashis Chatterjee, participated in an engaging panel discussion, conducted online, joined by an enthusiastic IIMK community as the audience. The discussion highlighted that the growth story of IIM Kozhikode was not just about the numbers, but also about adding some remarkably innovative initiatives that has set the bench mark for other institutions in the country. Many such innovations were emulated by others, and the institute takes pride in being an agent of change that forever transformed the higher education space in India.
Announcing the launch of the year-long Silver Jubilee celebrations, Prof. Debashis Chatterjee said that IIMK is on an exciting trajectory of expansion and growth. Adding further he said “It is my privilege to be celebrating the 25th Foundation Day of IIM Kozhikode here today, along with the distinguished alumni of IIM Kozhikode and three of my predecessor Directors. IIMK has come a long way in these twenty five years from a couple of barren hilltops in a small town to an institution of national eminence and global impact. To all those faculty, staff, students, recruiters, the supportive governments of India and Kerala and to all other stakeholders, I express my love and gratitude for being part of this memorable journey.”
Earlier in his address to the IIMK community Prof. Chatterjee dwelled upon how ‘civilization’ - what resources you have, and ‘culture’ – what you truly are, can come together to positively influence the collective energy of the Institute to take the next leap forward.
Founded in 1996, IIMK was the fifth IIM to be set up by the government. Starting in 1997 with a batch of 42 students for its flagship Post Graduate Programme, IIMK’s final intake for 2020 academic year stands at 485 students. A few of the innovations and firsts credited to the institute over the past 25 years are as follows:
- Incubation of a Centre of Excellence jointly with Government of Kerala, one of its kinds in India, to help the Scheduled Castes/Tribes students overcome their deficiencies in communication and personality [Centre for Research and Education for Social Transformation (CREST)]
- With more than 54% women in the current batch, IIMK matched the record-setting feat of the PGP 17 (2013-2015), and continues to be the pioneers in bringing gender diversity to premier management education in the country.
- The first institution to conceive and create a technology enabled and interactive online executive education programme which is running continuously since 2001.
- Accreditation from London-based AMBA for its PGP and Executive PGP
- The institute is one of the pioneers in creating a water neutral sustainable campus. The entire water needs of the more than 115-acre campus is met by the water harvesting programme. The soil conservation and campus greening efforts are also a model to many.
- Opened the first Indian Business Museum in 2013, acknowledging the contribution of India’s business leaders in the making of Corporate India.
- IIM Kozhikode’s revered journal ‘Management and Society Review’ is now rated category 2 star by ABS Journals list (UK). This is the first and only journal to have featured in the list.
- LIVE, a business incubator and entrepreneurship development centre of IIM Kozhikode set up with the support of Department of Science and Technology, Government of India, in 2016.
- Commenced the one-year full-time residential MBA in Business Leadership and the PhD in Management (Practice Track), for working executives in 2019.
- Anticipating the emphasis on multi-disciplinary approach of the National Education Policy 2020, IIMK launched full time PG Programmes in Finance and Liberal Studies & Management starting 2020, with a resounding response to the courses from the academia and students.
- The Institute is also among the top 5 IIMs in the country as per NIRF India Rankings 2020: Management and has also made its debut at rank 15+ in Asia for its EMBA programme as per the latest QS World University Rankings.
- On the social impact front, IIMK has always led from the front and has recently contributed close to Rs 1 crore towards fighting COVID19 relief activities, especially catering to the needs of the local community during these unprecedented times. The Institute’s startup incubator LIVE has also contributed to the fight by developing a CovidFYI App, Covid19 swab collection robot and a wearable band that enforces social distancing measures.
Stay informed, Stay ahead and stay inspired with MBA Rendezvous