Covid-19 /Coronavirus, the name of deadly virus bring goose bumps on our skin. This disease has infected more than two million people and killed more than a hundred thousand so far globally.
However in India the situation looks under control and the infected figures so far are 13387 cases and 437 deaths.
What is Coronavirus disease?
COVID-19 is the disease caused by the new coronavirus that emerged in China in December 2019. It is diagnosed with a laboratory test.
How it spreads?
The COVID-19 virus spreads primarily through droplets of saliva or discharge from the nose when an infected person coughs or sneezes. It can spread from person to person and can also pass on from infected surface. Experts are now sure that how long the novel Coronavirus can survive on these surfaces. But, the survival time could range from several hours to several days.
So it’s important that you also practice respiratory etiquette (for example, by coughing into a flexed elbow).
At this time, there are no specific vaccines or treatments for COVID-19. However, there are many clinical trials going on for the vaccination.
Symptoms of Coronavirus
The COVID-19 virus affects different people in different ways. Most infected people will develop mild to moderate symptoms.
- dry cough
Some people may experience:
- aches and pains
- nasal congestion
- runny nose
- sore throat
Some people do not carry any symptoms but they can be very dangerous. Older people, and those with underlying medical problems like cardiovascular disease, diabetes, chronic respiratory disease, and cancer are more likely to develop serious illness.
On an average it takes 5–6 days from when someone is infected with the virus for symptoms to show, however it can take up to 14 days. That is the reason a person with symptoms are kept in isolation for 14 days.
There are a number of things you can do to protect yourself:
- Try to stay at least 3 feet away from the people who are coughing and sneezing.
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water for at least 20 seconds every time.
- Carry an alcohol based sanitizer which has at least 60% alcohol in case you don’t have access to soap.
- You can transmit the virus from your face, nose and eyes. So, avoid touching these areas.
- Nowadays you may be hearing more about “social distancing” which means stay away from groups of people as this may help you avoid being exposed. It is better to stay home to remain safe.
- 5G mobile networks spread COVID-19:This is a myth. Viruses cannot travel on radio waves/mobile networks.COVID-19 is spreading in many countries that do not have 5G mobile networks.
- Exposing yourself to the sun or to temperatures higher than 25C degrees prevent the person from getting Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): A person can catch COVID-19, no matter how sunny or hot the weather is. Countries with hot weather have also reported cases of COVID-19.
- Coronavirus stays for lifetime:Coronavirus does not mean you will haveit for life. You can recover from this disease with proper preventions and treatments.
- Drinking alcohol protect you against Covid-19:Alcohol in sanitizer helps in killing germs but drinking the alcohol can be dangerous and it can increase the risk of health problems.
- Coronavirus can be spread through mosquito bites or non-vegetarian food: There is no evidence regarding this. So, here we cannot conclude that Coronavirus can be transmitted through mosquito bites or non-vegetarian food.
Impact of Coronavirus
- Global Economy: Global Economy could shrink by almost 1% in 2020 due to Covid-19 pandemic. Before the lockdown, forecast was of 2.5% growth. The lockdown due to covid-19 outbreak is shattering global supply chains and international trade. In the worst scenario, the world economy could shrink by 0.9% in 2020.
- Indian Economy: Complete lockdown have brought economy to a standstill as no transaction taking place due to country lockdown. This could affect production, consumption and investment. All the imports and exports have been stopped for now. Everything has been closed down for our safety. Sensex has already crashed. Chances of inflation are very high. Impact on Indian economy will be less as compared to other countries and especially China.
- Employment: It will be too early to say that the ongoing lockdown is going to have an impact on employees or not. Though this country lockdown has left employees feeling worried about their future about continuation of their job. Government has appealed to company to not fire any employees. Some companies are motivating employees in terms of hike in salary and by conducting happiness session. But few are firing employees.
- Impact on MBA Education: Covid-19 has some impact on MBA Education as well. All the campuses have been closed due to coronavirus disease. Now, there is a shift in an academic calendar. The classes will commence late by 2-3 weeks. Summer internship are getting delayed and this will have an impact on final placement as well. Some companies are delaying their placement offers, some are withdrawing their offers and some are going ahead with their hiring plans.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Are antibiotics effective in preventing or treating the covid-19?
A. Antibiotics are not effective in preventing Covid-19 patient. They only work on bacterial infections and the COVID-19 is caused by virus, so antibiotics do not work.
Q2. Should I always wear a mask to protect myself?
A. A person having cold and cough are required to wear the mask so as to prevent other person from getting infected.
Q3. How long is the incubation period for COVID-19?
A. On an average it takes 5–6 days from when someone is infected with the virus for symptoms to show, however it can take up to 14 days.
Q4. Can the Coronvirus spread from animals?
A. This is rare but some Coronaviruses can infect animals that can sometimes be spread to people.
Q4. Can the Coronavirus spread through air?
A. The virus that causes COVID-19 is mainly transmitted through droplets generated when an infected person coughs, sneezes, or speaks. These droplets are too heavy to float in the air so they quickly fall on floors or surfaces. You can be infected by breathing in the virus if you are within 1 metre of a person who has COVID-19.
Q4. How long the virus can survive on surfaces?
A. Experts are now sure that how long the novel Coronavirus can survive on these surfaces. But, the survival time could range from several hours to several days.
Stay informed, Stay ahead and stay inspired with MBA Rendezvous