Think of an MBA, and the first thing that comes to your mind is a lucrative job offer at the end of the degree and a flourishing career for a lifetime. Many factors contribute to choosing a B-school like:
- Brand Value
- Specializations Offered
- Curriculum & Pedagogy
- Accreditations & Affiliations
- Alumni Network
- Course Fee
- Global Linkages
- Networking Opportunities
It is interesting to note that ‘Placements’ is a consistent factor that tops this list for a majority of aspirants. It wouldn’t be wrong to say that good placement is either a driving force or a by-product of the above factors.
According to the Government approved National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF), ‘Graduation Outcome’ is a critical parameter for a business school’s ranking (which affects the student’s choices) and keeps in account the following:
- Combined Metric for Placement and Higher Studies
- Metric for University Examinations
- Median Salary
- The number of graduates opting for further studies post completion of their academic course.
MBA Rendezvous lists top SEVEN reasons why placement remains a essential factor while choosing B-schools:
- Return on Investment: The placement statistics of a B-school give a clear idea about the ROI it promises. Return on Investment is the potential gain in terms of average or median post-MBA salary against the total program expense. Some of the colleges with high ROIs in India are Faculty of Management Studies Delhi, TISS Mumbai, NITIE Mumbai, and IIM Bangalore.
- Good Brand Value: Brand value and placement opportunities share a yin-yang relationship. A college with an established brand name attracts top domestic and global recruiters. Also, students getting placed in reputed organizations help increase the brand value of a B-school in the eyes of various stakeholders.
- Networking opportunities: One of the best gifts a b-school gives its students is a well-connected and robust alumni and peer network. Such a rewarding network is a direct result of the placements opportunities provided at the B-school, followed by the individual career trajectory. Hence if a school boasts of an excellent placement record, it means students are well-placed and assures great networking opportunities.
- Industry-Oriented Curriculum: An excellent placement record is reflective of the industry-oriented curriculum taught in the B-school. A management school that provides opportunities to take up live projects and research-based activities helps bridge the academia-industry gap, making its student's industry ready and a favorite among recruiters.
- Career Development: A dedicated placement cell with a well-structured placement process assures students of career development. Placement cells help in channelized skill development, skill evaluation, and building of technical and functional competencies. The exposure with the placement training sessions helps students learn about the actual job market reality providing a holistic development.
- Student Satisfaction: B-schools that provide proper placement opportunities to its students helps build a good reputation, thereby improving student employability and promising higher student satisfaction.
- Healthy Student-Faculty Relationship: With various placement activities students can get guidance and counseling from Faculty members. This helps them share a healthy relationship with the Faculty members and understand their future career choices and probable areas for improvement.
The campus placements are indeed a reflection of the talent pool of an institute and the opportunities and exposure a it can provide the future students. Hence, it is an essential and consistent factor when it comes to making such life-changing decision.
Related Articles on
Stay informed, Stay ahead and stay inspired with MBA Rendezvous