MBA aspirants, who are appearing in MAT being conducted on coming Sunday 1st Sep 2019 (Paper Based) and 14th Sep 2019 (Computer Based) should practice with following Questions and answers with solutions for Grammar & usage in Verbal Ability (VA):
Given below are four sentences or parts of sentences that form a paragraph. Identify the sentence(s)or part(s) of sentence(s) that is/are incorrect in terms of grammar and usage. Then, choose the most appropriate option.
1. The Georgian windows in Bishop Terrick’s dining room looks out on to the gardens of Fulham Palace.
2. This building, once the summer retreat of the Bishops of London, is now a museum and event venue.
3. Today it’s host to musicians who patiently peer out of one of the windows.
4. From the outside they’re framed through clouds of wisteria and look suitably romantic.
(a) Only 1 (b) 2 and 3 (c) 1 and 4 (d) 1 and 2
Statement 1 has a subject verb agreement error. The Georgian windows in Bishop Terrick’s dining room looks out on to the gardens of Fulham Palace. It should be “look” as the subject of the sentence is the Georgian windows. Statement 4 is incorrect as it should be “they’re framed by clouds of wisteria”
1. The movie begins with Elia Suleiman as grown man sitting alone in a taxi from an airport being driven at night by an Israeli cabbie.
2. A storm blows up and the surrounding countryside was cloaked in rain and fog.
3. Briefly illuminated by flashes of lightning, the country is suddenly unfamiliar to both driver and Passenger.
4. The cab stops besides the road and both men, ignoring the law, light cigarettes.
(a) 1, 2 and 4 (b) 1 and 2 (c) 1 and 4 (d) All are incorrect
Statement 1 should have an article “as a grown man…..”. Statement 2 has inconsistency in tenses. The correct statement should be “A storm blows up and the surrounding countryside is cloaked in rain and fog” .In statement 4 the correct preposition should be “beside the road”. Besides means ‘in addition to’ which is inappropriate here.Stay informed,