Science today is progressing with great leaps and bounds but astonishingly none of the inventions made so far has been able to control ‘time’ or say ‘reverse time’. Lost wealth may be replaced by industry, lost knowledge by study, lost health by temperance or medicine, but lost time is gone forever. Even the almighty can’t rewind time.
Such is the power of time and the man who has learnt how to use it judiciously is a success in himself. He does not need any accolades or awards to cherish his win as it is a lifetime achievement which no award can measure up to. The key to utilize time is not spending it, but in investing it. Ordinary people think merely of spending time. Great people think of using it.
God has given each one of us a bank called ‘Time’. Every morning, we are credited with 24 hours and every night it writes off whatever time we are unable to use constructively and productively. It carries no credit or overdraft. We all have a choice of how much importance and value we give to time. Therefore, we need to manage our time well, and use every second of the 24 hours to our advantage.
“I don’t have the time.” How often do your hear yourself say these words? If it is often then time management is the answer for you. Managing the 24 hours of your day efficiently and balancing both work and home is what time management is all about. Time Management is a process that must be planned, monitored and regularly reviewed.
Time management is an essential skill that helps you keep your work under control, at the same time that it helps you keep stress to a minimum. We would all love to have an extra couple of hours in every day. Seeing as that is impossible, we need to work smarter on things that have the highest priority, and then creating a schedule that reflects our work and personal priorities. Poor time management is often a symptom of over confidence.
Time management is important for your personal life and career success and MBA aspirants or those pursuing MBA must keep this mantra in life. You have to balance everything in your college life like morning jogs, preparing for classes, studying, organization activities, spending time with friends and most importantly sleeping.
With four semesters to cover, MBA students need to use their time efficiently as a little bit of lackadaisical attitude will have disastrous effects on your results. Those appearing for CAT have only four months to prepare and need to utilize every second while giving the exam. But for MAT only two months are left and you need to pull up your socks.
Here are some of the few tips for the students to effectively manage your so ‘little’ time and if reversed these tips can turn into pitfalls. Have a look:
- Set goals: Know what you want to achieve and make it your priority. This can be anything, whether you want to achieve the goal in a day, a week, or a semester. Ask yourself what your academic goal is. Making goals can make it easier for you to look straight ahead; instead of juggling subjects that you think is easy, this could be very stressful and often results in not achieving your goal.
- Prioritize: Once you are determined on the goals you want to achieve, you need to prioritize the activities required by the goal. This will help you determine what particular task needs to be accomplished first and what tasks can be set aside in the mean time. To achieve your priorities more efficiently, try to mark deadlines in your calendar. Make a time management schedule to set priorities straight and avoid being stressed out of trying to accomplish everything at once.
- Create a simple "To Do" list: It is good to sit and plan your tasks of the day and the amount time that you would like to devote to each task. Make a daily/weekly planner. Similarly a long term planner in the form of monthly chart can be made so that you can plan ahead. It will also serve as a reminder to constructively plan time for yourself.
- Tackling interruptions: It is obvious as a student you will face many interruptions while doing your task. But instead of getting fussy try to prioritize and minimize interruptions. Establish rules for your time.
- Make use of extra time: Instead of whiling away your extra time try to make use of it. For example, instead of doing nothing in a class waiting for the professor, try to think of the last class assignment. If you are going to write an essay, use the time to think of a good topic for it. This is a great way to manage your time into manageable pieces and great time saver. At the end of each day, you will feel stress free and ready to face the next day with equal enthusiasm.
- Avoid excessive relaxation: This is applicable on sleep as well on relaxation. A sleep of six hours is enough to charge up your fatigued body. Similarly, if relaxing for fifteen minutes is equivalent to relaxation of one hour why to waste time. Killing time by sitting idle while anticipation to do something constructive is the worst thing to do. Instead use this time to exercise and stretch your body to get into rhythm of action.
If you are you a company manager, time management is one tool to success. Those who cannot manage their time are also poor managers of their lives. In business, time management has morphed into everything from methodologies such as Enterprise Resource Planning through consultant services such as Professional Organizers.
Time management will allow you to eliminate wastage, be prepared for meetings, refuse excessive workloads, monitor project progress, allocate resource (time) appropriate to a task's importance, ensure that long term projects are not neglected, plan each day efficiently, plan each week effectively.
Similarly, it is important to give time management training to your employees. When your employees manage their time wisely and efficiently you will see increase both in production and profits. Wasting time lowers productivity, decreases profits, and fails a business.
Have your people trained in time management because most people don’t know how to properly manage their time. Give your employees the tools they need to find success for themselves and for your business. Some of the strategies are:
- Try to involve everyone: No one likes to be singled out. Even if there are only a few people wasting time, make time management training mandatory for all employees. Understand that time management in the workplace is everyone’s concern.
- Invest a day in time management training: Unfortunately, very few wage earners would want to work overtime for a time management workshop. True, we can argue that attending one is for their benefit. However, most time wasters don’t understand this. Some managers don’t want to sacrifice productivity for one-day training. But think of the time that they will learn to utilize ‘time’. Anyway they are not working during office hours too.
- Make time management training interesting: There are a lot of training materials that are published for businesses that are just simply boring. They are dull and uninteresting and are completely incapable of keeping the attention of people. Try to make it creative, interesting, and easy to understand.
Thus, simply knowing the benefits of time management training will not bring you anything. Only action will make your goals come true. Time management is the same with life management. Realization of life comes with time management. Do not stray from it. Take care of the minutes and the hours will take care of themselves.
Time is the most valuable and the most perishable of all possessions. Before managing anything else learn to manage time and the world will be at your feet. Imagine a sportsman who crosses every hurdle to win a race to emerge as a winner. He runs the race of his life in that very moment as every fraction of a second is like a do-or-die situation for him. And similar should be the passion in every individual towards time.
The great dividing line between success and failure can be expressed in five words: “I did not have time.”
For such topics of your concern, please keep on visiting www.mbarendezvous.com, Portal with Management by objective approach.