Operations Management refers to a process which is a function of implementing the strategy, design, and process, required in development of a product, its maintenance, quality, supply chain, and inventory planning.
Operations Management basically includes work that is needed to convert raw materials into a final product. It is a process required in all manufacturing Industries. It looks after the planning, supervising, and organizing of various production and manufacturing services of an organization. The designation of an Operations Manager, is one of the most responsible and crucial designations in an organization. The Operations Manager ensures that the final product is obtained in the most efficient and cost-effective way, while meeting the standards of the customers.
In order to be a good Operation Manager, the following skills are required:
- An Operation’s Manager’s day involves lots of analysis and decision making, and hence these attributes make up for the most eminent facets of the job.
- The candidate must possess excellent communication skills, so as to communicate effectively with the co-workers and the customers, to produce the best results.
- The candidates need to learn core Business skills, enriched with leadership qualities.
- The candidate must also understand the Financial condition of the organization and the different steps of the process, like planning, product design, or the aspects of layout, strategy, along with the integration of different performing teams.
There are numerous courses available in the field of Operations Management, for a Bachelor’s Degree as well as a Master’s Degree.
Master of business administration (MBA) in Operation Management includes the following:
- MBA in Supply Chain Management
- MBA in Logistics
- MBA in Supply Chain Design
- MBA in Data Analysis
- MBA in Plant Design and Layout
- MBA in Product Design and Development
- MBA in Operation Strategy
In these courses, the students are taught about subjects like Strategic Management, HR Development, Supply Chain Management, Quality Management, Production Management, and Leadership and Managerial Skills.
The core subjects included in the curriculum of Operation Management include:
- Financial Accounting
- Principles of Organization & Management
- Operations, Planning & Control
- Supply Chain Management
- Engineering, Industrial & Managerial Economics
- Facilities Planning
- Operations Research
- Project Management
- Industrial Engineering Concepts
- Organizational Behavior
- Business and Managerial Ethics
- Human Resource Management and Industrial Relations
- Safety, Health and Environment Management
- Organizational Behavior
- Marketing Management
- Manufacturing Systems and Service Operations
- Logistics Management
In order to seek Admission in MBA in Operations Management,
- The candidate must possess a Bachelor’s Degree in any discipline, securing a minimum of 50% marks aggregate.
- The candidate should clear a National-level Entrance Exam like CAT/MAT/XAT/ATMA/CMAT or equivalent, along with clearing the rounds of GD/PI.
Operations Management has a tremendous scope in the current and coming times, and hence caters a lot of Job Profiles and Career options. The highlight of this specialization is that, it fits into all Industries, ranging from IT, Insurance, Finance, Manufacturing to HR, Hospitality, Retail, Construction, Transportation, and Consultancy.
Some of the job profiles available after MBA in Operations include:
- Inventory Control Manager
- Logistics Manager
- Assistant Manager Operations
- Operation Administrators
- Retail Operation Manager
- Operation Manager
- Area Operation Manager
- Manufacturing consulting Managers
- Plant Manager
- Process re-engineering Managers
- Channel Manager for GSM Operations
- General Operation Managers
There are several Institutes in India providing PGDM or MBA courses in Operations. Some of them include:
- IIMs, Bangalore, Kolkata, Delhi, Mumbai, Lucknow
- CII school of logistics, Delhi, Mumbai
- National Institute of Industrial Engineering (NITIE), Mumbai
- Institute of Public Enterprise (IPE), Hyderabad
- Asia Pacific Institute of Management, Delhi
- K.J. Somaiya Institute of Management Studies and Research, Mumbai
- Balaji Institute of Management and Human Resource Development, Pune
- Jaipuria Institute of Management, Noida
Stay informed, Stay ahead and stay inspired with MBA Rendezvous